Here is something RARE!

Help Support Ruger Forum:

contender

Ruger Guru
Many of us hunt. Most of us do not ever get the chance to hunt Tundra Swan,, due to the limited places that allow hunting of them.
That's kinda rare.

Next,, often, getting a tag for a Tundra Swan isn't always easy,, so again,, kinda rare.

That's TWO kinda rare items,, so far.

Thrown in that my DIL has been able to get the chance to hunt these birds twice,, is also kinda rare.

That's 3.

So far,, by now,, I'd bet very few here have ever hunted & bagged a Tundra Swan,, much less twice. Well, my DIL has been capable of doing so. Just this past weekend,, she went on her second Tundra Swan hunt,, and was successful.

Now,, the really, really rare part. See,,, my DIL is the daughter of Jim Chambers,, of Chambers Flintlocks. So,, she took a Chambers Flintlock to hunt the Tundra Swan. And she was successful.

I'd bet nobody else here has ever done that!!!!

[url=https://postimages.org/]

T.A. WORKMAN

Hunter
I remember your post on her 1st tag and harvest of a Tundra Swan last year I believe?

Now a 2nd tag & Swan back to back and harvested with one of dads Flintlock's to boot!! Yeah I would call that a very rare experience!
Congratulations to her are in order!
Great pictures also.
Terry

contender

Ruger Guru
Actually she & my granddaughter went on the first swan hunt 2 years ago. Hard to believe it's been that long. Last year,,, my DIL was undergoing breast cancer treatment at this time.

My son scored BIG TIME with this lady!

street

Hunter
It is said that the American Long Rifle is the only true "original" American Art! Of course everyone has there own opinion on this, but I think it's true.

contender

Ruger Guru
That flintlock is actually a smoothbore shotgun. Way cool for sure.

The bird is actually "small" as it's still considered a juvie. This was explained to me by her,, as the beak/bill still has pink coloration.
I'm a newbie when it comes to these things!

I will say,, Jim (her Dad) has made some stunning works of art in his flintlocks. I've been privileged enough to have handled several of them. Looking over his stuff,, well,, I'm constantly amazed at what I see,, especially as I closely study them.

But to bag a bird,, that has limited hunting opportunities,, with a flintlock shotgun, to me,, has to be a really rare feat that most of us wouldn't even consider.

Wow! That is actually really cool. That gun is fantastic, it's pretty rare itself. What's the length of that barrel? She looks pretty happy in that picture. Is she going to get it mounted?

And Where does one even go to hunt Tundra Swan?

contender

Ruger Guru
I'll get the details on the gun when I talk to her again.

And to hunt these birds,, you have to find a state that issues permits for them. For us,, we are lucky in that NC allows a special, one bird per person permit.
As she said,,, drove for several hours,, to fire one shot,, and be done! (We live in the western part of the state,, and the hunts are in the eastern part of the state.)

contender

Ruger Guru
That fowl gun is a 10 ga bore. Set for shot or round balls. It has a 46" bbl, with the additional stock, making the OAL almost 60" I think. She used 1-1/2 oz of powder, and 1-1/2 oz of bismuth shot for the swan.
Anybody interested in more details in this gun can look it up at;
www.Flintlocks.com/rifles

It's a replica of a New England Fowler/Colonial Militia Musket.
She enjoys it for sure!

Latest posts