Henry 45 colt big boy

Help Support Ruger Forum:

cbnutt

Single-Sixer
There really intreging me :) anyone shot or own one ? can they shoot a hot loaded round such as Corbon , or Underwood safely ? Read where the 41 is coming too ,which sounds great, but thinking more on the 45 colt .

Don Lovel

Hunter
cbnutt said:
There really intreging me :) anyone shot or own one ? can they shoot a hot loaded round such as Corbon , or Underwood safely ? Read where the 41 is coming too ,which sounds great, but thinking more on the 45 colt .
A couple years ago I had opportunity to talk with Anthony Imperato, owner of Henry. Really nice guy, sent me a huge box of swag for my suggestion.
What I talked to him about was making the 45 Colt Henry steel chambered for 454 Casull.
I had owned a Rossi Puma and it handled hot 45 Colt loads really well, allowing me to shoot longer LBT 300+gr hot handloads.
I explained to him that those who hunt with 45 Colt or 454 would probably buy up any his company produced since nobody else did, at that time Puma 454 were not in production anymore.
He told me that they make the Steel rifle strong enough to handle any production 44 Mag, so folks who live in Alaska and dangerous game country could rely on them. He said he did not see why 45 Colt chambering should present any problem with CorBon, Buffalo Bore or other +P 45 loadings.
I even mentioned to him that Ballard cut rifling for heavy cast bullet accuracy would be a nice touch.

Quality American Built rifles, Anthony gives lots of folks a good job, claimed a good market share so they are in it for the long haul. Marlin's QC problems, Winchester's expense, Henry can kick some butt in the lever gun market for a good time to come
Wish Ruger had gotten on the performance built Lever gun train

Mus408

Hunter
I also read where a lever action .410 shotgun is coming out too. Might have to look at that.

Lngstrt

Single-Sixer
I'd like to see a Henry, .45 Colt, 24" barrel, long profile case hardened steel frame ..... sort of a Winchester '73 look.

To go with my NMBH 7.5" 200th Year .45 ;-)

Oh yeah ... for less than an Uberti?

cbnutt

Single-Sixer
The one I looked at was the Yellow brass looking one , I assume it should handle the hotter 45 loads as well ?

Ditmo

Single-Sixer
I bought a steel big boy in .41 mag. Excellent shooter to go with my Blackhawks. Can't wait for the 327 one to come out. I'll be buying one of those as well. Need one to go with my single seven. :) I'm very impressed with the function, accuracy, and wood of the big boy I own. My only gripe is the tube loading. I've gotten over it so that I could have a .41 lever at a reasonable price.

Remlin is still not up to snuff. Had to send back a 336Y because the front sight was canted. Still waiting to get it back. Must be the Christmas rush and back log of repairs.

planetcat

Single-Sixer
I've been shooting lever actions since I could stand up, and really like the Henry's for a lot of the reasons mentioned above. They've really expanded their caliber options, too, and have a huge variety of rifles. My only hesitation on them, is that I prefer a side loading gate, at least for the big bore rifles. Unfortunately, my .45-70 want was filled by a marlin gbl which I bought before Henry made the .45-70. I am intrigued by the .41 mag version as it would be a nice field addition to my .41 mag blackhawk. One ammo, two firearms. What's not to like. :)

cleardatum

Single-Sixer
Don Lovel said:
cbnutt said:

What I talked to him about was making the 45 Colt Henry steel chambered for 454 Casull.
i think if that were made in .454, i would be obligated to get one...

eveled

Hawkeye
I'm thinking of ordering one of Henry's new long range lever guns in .308

holo07

Single-Sixer
check out there site all kind of new stuff single shot straight cartridge .44 mag for us Ohio whitetail boys

eveled

Hawkeye
And single shot shotguns, the lever action .410 is interesting.

Love to see Henry thriving.

Don Lovel

Hunter
I could see where the 327 caliber lever carbine could be a farm favorite for varminting and even deer hunting.
327 is the only caliber chambering that would make me want to own a Mare's Leg version.

RSIno1

Hunter
I have been storing this one in my safe until it's given away. http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?p=19501734#post19501734 Henry donated one to Masons in each state to use as fundraisers for their charities. Once it's gone I'll have an open spot in the safe and I'm buying the Big Boy Carbine in 44 Mag to complement my Super Blackhawk. https://www.henryusa.com/rifles/henry-big-boy-carbine/

wlhawk

Bearcat
exavid said:
I was looking at a .44 Henry yellow boy yesterday. Octagon barrel and all. Drool.. slobber. Nice.
I have several Henry rifles but the .44 mag continues to be my favorite.

rangerbob

Buckeye
I've had my Steel BB in 41 magnum for over a year. The only thing I had to do was install a higher front sight to get it zeroed. It shoots 41 specials just fine and holds one more round it one needs a 12 shooter. My wife has a 357 Steel BB just as nice and I'm waiting on the 327 model to go with my single seven too. I ordered a steel 30-30 for one of my LE buddies and it was really nice. I'm hoping that their new single shot rifle is going to take up the void left by the demise of the Handi Rifle and the #1 at 1/4 the price of a #1. Bob!!! :mrgreen: