Help with Ruger 375 Left handed stock

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Reload1

Bearcat
I'm not a big guy and my Ruger 375 laminated stock is a little long. I was going to have it cut down and a new pad installed which was going to cost about $100 depending on the pad I had installed. Then a buddy showed me his guide gun stock with the adjustable butt pad. That got me thinking, rather than mess up my standard stock why not look for a guide gun stock. I already ordered the spacers and pad thinking I could just cut my stock down and install those. Duhh, of course the stock has a different profile.

So I can either buy a used stock or find someone making laminated stocks with the guide gun configuration. So looking for a little help trying to find either. Another complicating matter is being left handed it limits the used options. As this is on a 375 I was advised not to buy a right handed and Dremel out the bolt opening as it might weaken the stock too much.

So if anyone has any suggestions I could use some help.

Thanks, Bill

Why could you or a gunsmith not shape the spacers just like they shape the recoil pad to a stock? How much shorter are you going to make it.? If it were me and my rifle I would make it fit me and let the next person who owns it worry about the length. You could also have a composite stock made for what ever length you want and keep the original. I have 2 composite stocks made for me in the style and color I wanted. Not cheap but great stocks, Pendelton Composite Stocks.

Last edited:

Reload1

Bearcat
Well I have a set of the Ruger spacers and the difference in the stocks is surprising. I even thought about cutting the stock down and making my own spacers to fit. Just hate to mess up the original stock. If I could find a spare stock I would probably just make some spacers.

Reload1

Bearcat
Sorry went out of town for a few days. So the standard rifle length is 13.5" That is a little too long even in just a shirt. I'm thinking cut the actual stock off at 11.5". Cut out 3 1/4" spacers and add a 3/4" recoil pad. Then I could adjust between summer and winter hunting.

Reload1

Bearcat
On another point I read that the action for this rifle has the same dimensions as the standard 30-06 rifle. So wondering if I could find a standard stock and just open up the barrel channel for the thicker barrel?

Opening up a barrel channel will work, do it yourself. It can look bad but still be functional. No one will see your work anyway. I am not a big guy or small 5'7" but all my many rifles and shotguns even the full custom jobs sport 13.5 LOP. Duck/Goose and Elk hunting are cold hunts and I wear thick clothing. Deer, dove and coyote hunting are in hot temps as is practice shooting. I don't change the LOP on the 1 that I can. Your shooting position will make a difference to keep the same distance and height of cheek piece to scope or sights. When I was shooting in Master class position matches. Way back in the 70s til 2000s my rifles had adjustable LOP and cheek rests. Basically, longer and taller in prone vs standing. We are all a little different in arm, neck lengths and yea some of that should be changed up to fit. On my hard kicker hunting rifles I want to stretch into full scope view to avoid broken glasses and scopes cutting my forehead. Even a thumb into your nose bridge will make your eyes water. Had all that happen and it's not pleasant. Just pointing out words of caution.
If you really need it shorten, I would do it on my rifle to fit me and quit worrying about what resale would be. That's a lot of shortening LOP, so if its needed all other rifles you own or owned were shorten? Or are you guessing? Maybe a trip to a gunsmith who makes stocks is in order to help. In my past I have had friends wanting to change LOP and I helped by simply moving the scope, LOP was not the problem it was eye relief to scope.

Reload1

Bearcat
Kmoore, the main reason for cutting it that much shorter is to allow for a new thicker recoil pad. The 1/4" that is on it doesn't help much. I was throwing 3/4" in just for the pad. Bill

Ok, that's makes sense. I was not thinking about the pad already on it. Here's a possibility on a used Ruger stock. Oregunsmithing LLC. I have been in his shop and he has many used stocks of all types. Email him with what your looking for. I don't know what price he may want. I will likely go there sometime in July to pickup my 375HH mag. he is refinishing and could ask.

Reload1

Bearcat
Well after being told they were not available I called Ruger parts today to verify. I now have a Guide Gun stock on the way. It cost more than just cutting the stock down would have but I'll have what I wanted. Thanks for all of the help. Bill

hseII

Bearcat
Well after being told they were not available I called Ruger parts today to verify. I now have a Guide Gun stock on the way. It cost more than just cutting the stock down would have but I'll have what I wanted. Thanks for all of the help. Bill
Do You have a photo of the stock?

Latest posts