HELP!! No joy with a search for......

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
Some time back there was a link or pictures of how to modify a BH pawl to make it free spin.
Does anyone have a link to that thread?
Several different searches failed to bring it back up.
Thanks in advance for the help. Chuck

Kanook

Buckeye
I googled ruger free spin pawl rugerforum and found it. Still learning this tablet.

Kanook

Buckeye
http://marauder.homestead.com/files/freespin.html

Went to my main computer.

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
Thanks guys.
I just bought a BH .41 mag that is a real pain to reinstall the cylinder in. The pawl just don`t want to ride up on the ratchet so I can get the cylinder lined back up. I spent 15 minutes wiggling and playing with it the first time and maybe 5 the second time. This gun is 18 years old but looks unfired. I like for them to just drop in so cleaning is easy. I have a couple spare pawls. I think that mod may be the way to go with this gun.

Luckyducker

Single-Sixer
I altered the pawl in my NM Vaquero with a file and now it is free-spin. I hadn't had a single action Ruger apart in several or more years and it took a little bit for the disassembly/reassembly to come back to me. I didn't remember the trigger spring being such a PITA before! LOL Well worth the effort, though I don't understand why they don't come free spin from the factory.

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
Thanks guys. I took the pawl out and just slightly beveled the inner edge of the first step. This is outlined in the book The Ruger Single Actions a Shop Manual. I really did not want free spin, just wanted to be able to install the cylinder without messing with it for a long time. The bevel allows the ratchet to ride up onto the pawl and depress it out of the window in stead of bumping into it and keeping the rear of the cylinder from aligning with the base pin bore.
With a very slight bevel (maybe a 64th of an inch) the cylinder aligns right up and it still operates as it came from Ruger. Cleaning and lubing did not hurt it any either, I am sure.
While it was out,I compared it to a new pawl. It is about .025" shorter than either of the new pawls I have on hand. Factory fitted part as you know.

Latest posts