Help me pick a companion SA to go with my Winny 94 Trapper

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Joe in Fl

Bearcat
I recently came into possession of a Winchester model 94 Trapper in 30WCF. It is early 1980's vintage. I am considering a 44 Spec BH, A 45 Colt BH and a 44mag 5.5 in Original Vaquero. I can get the Vaquero for around $300. It is unfired but has some very minor surface rust on the Faux CCH, no pitting at all and will clean up. I am leaning towards the Vaquero of course, but I would rather have a 4.62" barrel. Lets hear the masses.
Thanks Y'all, Joe

Well to be period correct you would almost need to go for the Vaquero. That price would twist my arm pretty hard. A few of the early Vaqueros with the Faux CCH did gather some minor rust. Get some steel wool and oil and clean it up some. I like the looks of the 4.62" barrel but truth is (to me) that the 5.5" balances pretty nicely. In 44 mag you could shoot 44 Specials and have a real comfortable piece.

Joe in Fl

Bearcat
Bear Paw Jack I am thinking the same, I can get a 1K case of 44spc ammo for and additional $150. I think it is a no brainer at that offer, just curious what the masses say. I really like the Vaqueros. I will probably go that route, just not positive.
I do like the fixed sight guns.

Mus408

Hunter
Vaquero would be a great match for the lever rifle and 1000 rounds of .44 Special ammo is a great deal for that price!

If you aren't going to buy the Vaquero let me know! At that price you could buy it, shoot it, and still sell it for more! .44 spcl ammo is around $40/50 in the lgs. That is why I reload.
gramps

ClintV

Single-Sixer
About that fake CCH.....
Clean it up with a little steel wool and hit it with some cold blue and you'll never know the difference.
Worked on mine.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
All of those are good choices. Pick the one you think you will enjoy the most. Personally I would go with a .357 Blackhawk but that wasn't on your list.

BearBio

Buckeye
I'd go for the Vaquero. You can always use 44 Spl. For a 1980 Model 94, any would be period correct.

I have a converted 38-40 (OM) Vaquero and an original 92 Winnie (also 38-40) that were re-finished, minor engraving. Matching Bowie and re-done leather.

I just GOTTA get some pictures done!

Joe, my Win 94 Trapper is a 1994 in 44 magnum. I have a Vaquero in 44 magnum also, 6.5 inch stainless. I really enjoy shooting it with 44 specials. My only Blackhawk is an old model 30 carbine, so I cannot comment on those. That sounds like a good price on the Vaq. Good luck and have fun.

Jerry

Joe in Fl said:
Bear Paw Jack I am thinking the same, I can get a 1K case of 44spc ammo for and additional $150. I think it is a no brainer at that offer, just curious what the masses say. I really like the Vaqueros. I will probably go that route, just not positive.
I do like the fixed sight guns.

If you don't mind my asking what ammo is that and where did you find it. Sounds pretty cheap.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Joe in Fl said:
I recently came into possession of a Winchester model 94 Trapper in 30WCF. It is early 1980's vintage. I am considering a 44 Spec BH, A 45 Colt BH and a 44mag 5.5 in Original Vaquero. I can get the Vaquero for around $300. It is unfired but has some very minor surface rust on the Faux CCH, no pitting at all and will clean up. I am leaning towards the Vaquero of course, but I would rather have a 4.62" barrel. Lets hear the masses.
Thanks Y'all, Joe

Go with a trapper revolver: there's a New Vaq with 3 3/4" barrel in 44 Spl mid Frame, also a New Vaq large frame 44 mag w/3 3/4" barrel and shoot both (has birdshead grip). If you don't like the birdshead swap it for a a standard plow handle GF.

See it here: http://www.realguns.com/articles/789.htm

You definitely want a New Vaq for ease of loading; they have the chamber alignment feature.

rangerbob

Buckeye
I reload 44 specials and you can't even buy 1000 brass for $150, let alone loaded ammo. Bob!! :mrgreen:

Joe in Fl

Bearcat
Bear Paw Jack, The gun belongs to friend of mine who is in bad health. He offered the Vaquero and Remington ammo to me at a price of $450 total.
Joe

jringo8769

Single-Sixer
Well i love the 44 special...and for that price...and u can get ammo that cheap with it...no brainer...shoot it and if u find out u want something else...u can trade it towards it....too cheap to pass up...unfired for around 300....wow....God Bless,John...
and u help a friend in need too...i would not hesitate at all...i love the shorter barrels myself but recently ran into a very nice 1959 Ruger Blackhawk 7.5" 44 mag...not the Super mag...i could not pass it up as it is like new...don't overthink it...please post some pics once u get it too....

buckeyeshooter

Blackhawk
Buy the vaquero, send it to Turnbull and get real case color, while it is there have them make and fit an extra cylinder in 44-40. They will open the the cylinder to .430 so no accuracy problems and you can use cheap 44 mag bullets.