Hawkeye No SN

Help Support Ruger Forum:

308longdistance

Blackhawk
No SN, No barrel markings, No caliber markings.

The story goes........

A Young Lady brings in this Hawkeye. Belonged(s) to her family who had a summer place next to the Ruger summer place in NH. Both families spent time together "out back" shooting.

SO......I don't know the answers, and I don't know the questions either!

Hawkeye001-1_zpsd1f3593f.jpg

Hawkeye002-1_zps215ee729.jpg

Hawkeye003_zpsf840e29f.jpg

Hawkeye004_zpsf33fa681.jpg

Hawkeye005_zps041ea689.jpg

Hawkeye006_zpsbdb01c0b.jpg

Hawkeye007_zpsa38b6102.jpg

Hawkeye008_zps548d7a26.jpg

Hawkeye009_zps492ca20b.jpg

Hawkeye010_zps284cc016.jpg

Hawkeye011_zpscaf1638c.jpg

Hawkeye012_zps89b13e63.jpg

Hawkeye013_zpsc75abfe9.jpg

HAWKEYE#28

Staff member
Looks like one of WBR's projects that migrated........Frame and barrel in the white, it appears. Think it odd that's firing pin is floating like shown. May have a build ID/number letter somewhere on it. My eyes tell me it is not a 256 caliber..........I want it. :!:

Arte Johnson's WWII German soldier used to say "Verrrry interesting . . . but schtupid!" on Laugh-In.

Hogan's Heroes' Sgt. Schultz used to say "I know nothing, NOTHING!!"

:)

Edited for schpelling.

:oops:

T.A. WORKMAN said:
Ale-8(1) said:
Arte Johnson's WWII German soldier sued to say "Verrrry interesting . . . but schtupid!" on Laugh-In.

Hogan's Heroes' Sgt. Schultz used to say "I know nothing, NOTHING!!"

Hows that ole buddy!!!!!!

I don't know nuzzing meinself! Well, very little, anyway.

And I don't think I've seen that mount before.

;)

Kanook

Buckeye
Pre 68 does not need a serial number, although if it came with one, it can not be removed. It is legal to make your own firearm today with no serial number for personal use, and sell without a number, but the BATFE guys want you to mark it although it's not required.

HAWKEYE#28

Staff member
Ale-8(1) said:
jussbad said:
My eyes spot XR3 Grip Frame/Grips too. Nice.

Yeah, interesting since the "production" models used XR3RED's per Dougan's book.

I SUGGEST IT MAY BE AN XR3. HAS APPARENT HIGH FINISH ON THE PANELS WHICH HAVE A LOWER SHOULDER IN THE AREA JUST BEHIND THE HAMMER. FURTHER, DOES NOT LOOK LIKE A WIDE TRIGGER WHICH STANDARD PRODUCTION GUNS HAD IN PLACE. WHILE THE STANDARD GRIP FRAME FOR THE HAWKEYE WAS BASICALLY THE XR3RED CONFIGURATION, I WILL REMIND THAT THE TRIGGER SLOT WAS WIDE. THAT IS WHY THE REPLACEMENT(S) FOR SAME(IF ONE NEEDS A REPLACEMENT GF, OR WANTS A RE-BALANCE OF HIS/HER HAWKEYE) ARE FOUND IN THE ALLOY, BLUE STEEL AND STAINLESS GRIP FRAMES OF THE RUGER BLACK PWDER REVOLVERS. 8)

the pictures are interesting, and it would take a "detailed" (concise) ,measurement of the 'width' of the cylinder frame in the area of the front, where the serial number "normally" is located...this would tell you if it ever was numbered and filed, ground, milled off and out.....if not then its a casting that got out or was built from scratch,BUT< the caveat there is it IS indeed "rollmarked" with the Ruger logo on the left side...hhhmmmm, kinda rules out "built from scratch"..............caliber? it could be anything, won;t be the first .....................and makes NO difference as to "pre 1968", as ALL Ruger firearms were numbered, and they were in a normal ,accepted area, and as such be recognised by the 'feds' (ATF) as such, so if altered, or deleted, NOT GOOD !!!! if a "prototype" the bottom of the cylinder frame ,out front of the trigger guard would be marked, and the pictures are too blurry to even make a guess...........ah more "Ruger lore", if only she could talk..... 8) :roll: :wink:

My suggestion, get it OFF the internet, or If YOU were the "builder" (maker),thus NEED a manufactures license)stamp an "X" ,with a single digit number on the bottom of the frame,ALA "PROTOTYYPE"?( illegal otherwise) and let the lawyers AND historians fight it out!!!! :shock: ( yessir, FREE advice.....) :(
I wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole,without proper documentation....MY .02 cents

308longdistance

Blackhawk
jussbad said:
My eyes spot XR3 Grip Frame/Grips too. Nice.

Hawkeye1003_zps4dea859a.jpg

Hawkeye1001_zps3c0a249e.jpg

Hawkeye1002_zps0f006c73.jpg

Grip frame was also drilled and taped for an Allen type screw, just where your middle finger would be on the frame. Also, the trigger is wide serrated, bore measures at about .357

Hawkeye1006_zpsfd2f1bf6.jpg

Hawkeye1007_zpsc67926db.jpg

HAWKEYE#28

Staff member
WELL.....STILL REMAINS A PROTOTYPE. YOU WILL RECALL THAT THE TRIGGER AND HAMMER ON THE HAWKEYE ARE STAND ALONE PARTS, APPLICABLE TO NO OTHER RUGER FIREARM, THE XR3 GF HAD TO BE OPENED UP FOR USE OF THE "WIDE SERRATED TRIGGER" THAT IS SO NOTED. WILL ASSUME FOR NOW THAT THE ALLEN SET SCREW WAS INSTALLED TO APPLY SOME TENSION TO THE SPRING WHEN THE GUN WAS AT FULL COCK MODE APPLYING MORE TENSION TO THE TRIGGER'S LET OFF..........OTHER OPINIONS OBVIOUSLY WELCOME. STILL THINK THIS A WBR GUN THAT MIGRATED....... :idea: