Break up sequential SN revolvers?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

A few years ago when new revolvers were hard to come by and I was looking for a particular model, I only found a matching pair with sequential SN as NOS (or just NOS unfired safe queens, I forgot). Anyway, I'm not a big proponent of keeping safe queens, and I prefer to actually shoot what I have. I always take extremely good care of my stuff, but I also use / shoot them. Anyway, I proceeded to have basic custom work done on, not one, but both revolvers by a competent professional gunsmith that included things like action work, free-spin pawl, reamed throats to 0.4252" (this done by John Linebaugh), replace the standard hammers with wide-spur SBH hammers, and also nice exotic wood grip while retaining all factory original parts in the original boxes. So the thought has entered my mind to possibly sell one of these because I really only wanted one in the first place. Given that both of these have been modified and fired, is there any benefit to keeping the them together or would it be a cardinal sin to sell one of them? I don't feel strongly either way, but I'd hate to regret it later. They're both high-polish SS original Vaquero birdshead in 45 Colt.

eveled

Hawkeye
My opinion is you kind of sealed the deal by having them both modified in the same way. They not only have sequential numbers, but are a custom set.

I'd keep them together, but I also think you would probably end up splitting them up when you eventually sell them.

Trouble is once they are split up, there is no going back. As you said you may regret it. Will you regret not breaking them up someday? I doubt it.

If you are on the fence, the safe bet is to keep them together.

C3Ranger

Bearcat
My vote would be keep them together. Sell the set if you choose and buy one shooter that's exactly what you want.

hittman

Staff member
Split them up. Makes no difference now since they're not original. To many of us once they've been tinkered with, they're shooters. Others will disagree, I know.

Reactions: krw
Hittman - That's sort of what I'm thinking. Since they've been fired, they've lost their "collectibility" and then after that, they've had stone work and nice action job, etc,… so practically worthless to a collector. If I understand the collector mentality, a nice, rare item is bought new and left in the safe for decades in hopes of it appreciating in price and/or passing it down to your kid. If it gets fired, then the value plummets dramatically.

As a side note, I actually found an extra (non-fluted) cylinder that fits one of them.

hittman

Staff member
I'm not disparaging your guns in any way. There'll be some folks who appreciate the custom work, no doubt. Maybe it limits your pool of potential buyers but fact is you only need one buyer!

I never intended to own "safe queens" either. But it happened. In the many years I've been in the hobby, sometimes people or deals just come to you.

I remember looking once for a GPNY. Guy here contacted me and he had 2 or 3 different configurations. All in boxes with shippers, etc. Price was reasonable and I bought them.

yes, unless you got twin grandkids or some such "set up' the work is done, keep the one you like , the one the other cylinder fits really....... or if you do not "need" the money, get a two gun display case,,,whatever floats your boat,,,your guns, your choice.. ;)

Latest posts