Having issues with 22 WMR in a Single Six Convertible

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Dan Carey

Bearcat
Got to spend some time at the range today. Not nearly enough for anything conclusive
Here are the photos I took using Aquila, Speer Gold Dot, Armscor, and Winchester Varmint ammo.
Here are some of the photos: https://imgur.com/a/5eIt5wZ
I only had time to fire 12 rounds of each, and the gun was cleaned between each different ammo brand.
The Armscor photos didn't come out at all, and I didn't have the chance to shoot the Hornady ammo today.

Here are the results:
CCI Maxi Mag. Some yellow particle buildup, extractor rod quite sticky after 12 rds. The dirtiest ammo today.

Armscor. Second six rounds a bit difficult to load because of yellow particle buildup in cylinder (just required a little extra push). Extractor rod sticky. Second dirtiest ammo today.

Aguila. Cleanest of the bunch. Minimal particle buildup, no extractor jams.

Winchester Varmint HV. Minimal yellow particle buildup, No extractor jams.

Speer Gold Dot. Second six rounds difficult to load, yellow particles in cylinder. No extractor rod jamming but some yellow particle buildup.

I'm going to have to do this when I can spend more time at the range and get more ammo downrange

I'm led to wonder...is this "yellow particle buildup" filler, or unburnt (partially burnt) powder? Guess I'll draft a letter to the manufacturers and ask them directly.

100 rds. of 22LR in the other cylinder just led the typical dirty .22LR residue that I expected to see.

Thanks for any input

2sheriffs

Single-Sixer
I bought a brick of Federal 22 LR that was on sale. I could not even shoot a full box of it until my stainless Single Six was so dirty that I could not cock it. It did not effect the ejection any. I still have 9 boxes left. This was ssprobably 25 years ago. The bullets were just plain lead.

Dan Carey

Bearcat
And I have zero issues with 22LR...Federal Lead round nose, Winchester hollow point plated, CCI, Aguila, and Armscor. Go figure.

Dan Carey

Bearcat
To Buckeye & Hunter:
I didn't mention that this is a brand new gun. Never thought to check the cylinder gap. Any Idea what the specs are?

Thanks,
Dan