Has anyone tried a S&W M&P yet?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

22/45 Fan

Hunter
I own both an M&P9 and an SR9 and like both. The Smith is a more refined gun with far better ergonomics. Actually, the M&P has the best ergonomics of ANY gun I've ever shot including the CZ75, SR9, Glock 19 (no contest here), Baretta 92, FNP9 and even the 1911 but the 1911 runs a real close second.

The SR9 is a screaming bargain at it's price and mine has been 100% so I can't say anything bad about it but, if I had to keep only one, the M&P would be it.

427mach1

Blackhawk
Sounds like good reason to get an M&P.

We're (she's) thinking about it. Our favorite gun shop has a full-size M&P with a pink back strap and the hi-viz sights - I want to say tritium but the salesman said fiber optic. My wife really likes the sights but isn't too sure about the pink back strap. It also comes with the three black back straps, too. The pink back strap is part of a fund raiser for one of the breast cancer organizations and some of the purchase price is donated to them.

427mach1

Blackhawk
I went and bought an M&P 9mm for the wife yesterday. One of the local gun shops had a $50 coupon on their website plus the $50 or two magazine offer from S&W. Since my wife liked the M&P so well, I couldn't pass up a deal like that! It was not the same shop that had the pink model; I bought a plain black stainless model.

LexRex

Bearcat
ConradM":2j3d77dc said:
If I got an M&P I would have to get trigger work done on it. Not that it's very heavy, I just thought it had a ton of over-travel.

I agree 100%. Way too much over travel. I did like how the gun shot in general but the over travel killed it for me.

poncaguy

Bearcat
I had a M&P 45, traded it for the new Ruger 327 Blackhawk, the M&P is a good pistol, very accurate and reliable. But since I have a XD Tactical 45 and a Taurua PPT 1911 which I liked better I got rid of it. I'm very pleased with my SR9, ordered a SR9C.

Barry in IN

Bearcat
I have one S&W M&P, a .45 ACP full-size with the thumb safety.

I plan on keeping it, but have no real plans of adding another, which I suppose means I like them OK but can't say I went crazy over them. I guess I'm more or less neutral.

As polymer framed pistols go, if I were shopping for one right now, I'd get another M&P. I like them better than other polymer pistols I've tried (mostly Glocks). I'm mostly going to compare the M&P to Glocks here, partially because Glocks make up most of my polymer frame gun experience and partially because it seems the natural thing to do.

The grip feels better to me than any other polymer gun. Even if they didn't have changeable backstraps and were all made in one-size-fits-all medium, I'd still like it better than others I've tried.

The M&P's metal magazine body fixes one of my main Glock complaints: The Glock plastic-encased mags are a lot fatter than they need to be and make carrying spares a little clumsier. That was the big advantage XDs had over them to me.
I don't know if that many people take mag size into consideration. I carry spare mags, so a mag being fatter than it needs to be matters to me.

After having a couple break a hook off, I'm not real happy with the standard Glock trigger return spring. I'm no engineer, but it always seemed to me that a coil spring with hooks on the end caused the hooks to bear the stress of the entire spring, and the sharp bend to form the hook would be the weak point. Growing up on the farm, there was never a shortage of springs in the trash barrel that came off some farm implement after breaking off a hook.
The S&W M&P still uses a similar arrangement. Their spring, however, has a rubbery insert in the coils that supposedly dampens the vibrations that leads to breakage. I don't know about that, but at least they did something, and mine hasn't snapped yet. I'd rather see something else, but it's a start.
It doesn't have such a strong "sproinggg" sound and feel when dry firing, so maybe it does work.

The M&P comes with metal sights, unlike the Glock and some others.
I've never had a Glock plastic front sight shear off, but I've seen it happen to others a couple of times (although at least once, I think it came from crowding cover and banging it off the edge of that cover). But I have carried one until the front sight became worn and misshapen. I know it's easily replaced, but I'd rather not have to.
Maybe most people get night sights or change to them ASAP, which naturally fixes that anyway. But regardless of that also, the M&P comes with metal sights.

Overall, I guess I'm saying the M&P fixes most of my complaints about Glocks.
It also seems to be at least as good as any other polymer gun.

I had gotten away from polymer guns but got my M&P because of hearing how great they were and seeing so many of them in use. That usually isn't enough reason for me to get something new, but two things helped:
-I knew of several people who switched to M&Ps that I thought would never consider changing from what they carried for years. Nothing else swayed them, so they saw something in the M&P.
-Instructors liked them. I always pay attention to the opinion of instructors, since they see so many guns.
-I like big bullets, but I also see the argument for more bullets. All hi-cap .45s I tried felt terrible to me. I wanted to try a hi-cap .45 that fit a human hand, and the M&P 45 felt pretty decent. Although at 10 rds, many would not call the M&P 45 a hi-cap.

So I went shopping for an M&P.
I wanted either a 9mm or .45. The shop had them in all variations. Comparing the 9 and .45, the .45 looked only slightly bigger in some places and the same in others, so I eliminated the 9mm.
I wish now I had compared slide width closer, as I think the .45 is way too wide. It's maybe no wider than a Glock or XD, but still too wide for me.

They had the M&P .45 with and without the manual safety. I didn't think the manual safety was necessary, but when I handled the "safety-less" one, my thumb kept looking for a place to rest. Too much 1911/HiPower use, I guess. So I got the safety.

It has operated with everything I've loaded into it- JHPs, cast SWCs, round nose jacketed or cast, and bullet weights from 165 to 235 grains.
Everything shoots pretty well. Groups are about as small as I can make them. The trigger being heavier than I'm used to takes some concentration, but is not a huge deal.
Control is good, and I can run multiple shot drills almost as well as with the 1911s I'm used to.
The controls are easy to reach and operate. The thumb safety is close to being in the same place as a 1911, but just enough off to feel a little different. I've never failed to disengage it, but have thought so a couple of times.
Nothing has broken, bent, or otherwise failed.

The gun works fine, but I seldom carry it. I only carry it on those rare days when I will be someplace where I can't take a gun. If I might have to leave a gun in the car, I'd rather leave a $550 gun I can probably replace on the way home than one of the HiPowers or 1911s I usually carry. Those are a little harder to replace.

If doing my M&P shopping trip over, I'd look harder at the 9mm. That wide slide of the .45 drives me nuts.
When it comes down to it, the M&P .45 is only a couple of ounces lighter than the similar sized Colt LW Cmdr or S&W Sc Cmdr. They are also slimmer, and have better triggers. The M&P trigger is really crisp, but also heavy.

So comparing the M&P 45 with LW Cmdrs, the M&P's advantages are that it holds two more rounds, is a couple of ounces lighter, and is cheaper. The weight reduction is more than offset by the width to me. I don't notice the minor weight difference. Two extra rounds are always nice, but not worth the tradeoffs to me in this comparison.

Sorry, I turned this into a book on the M&P.

george58

Bearcat
I have both an SR9 and an M&P 9mm FS. Love them both. If I had to choose just one, the M&P. 10,000 rounds thru the SR9, 15,000 rounds thru the M&P. Both very reliable.

GaryT

Bearcat
LexRex":b0c7lp0p said:
ConradM":b0c7lp0p said:
If I got an M&P I would have to get trigger work done on it. Not that it's very heavy, I just thought it had a ton of over-travel.

I agree 100%. Way too much over travel. I did like how the gun shot in general but the over travel killed it for me.

I have an M&P 9 and it's my favorite pistol right now. I don't understand the issues people bring up with "trigger reset" or "overtravel". Mine has no overtravel and reset is very positive, and all I've done is shoot/dryfire it a ton. And, it's more accurate than I am, too!

2ndamd

Bearcat
Thanks for all the replies.
I could not decide between the M&P 9 and the M&P 9c.
So, I did what any good gun owner would do....I bought both :)

I am very happy with the accuracy of both. The full size is a joy to shoot. It has a good size beaver tail at the top of the grip. It makes the gun fit right into your hand. Very controllable and easy to shoot.
I got 2 1/2 inch groups at 25 yrds shooting off hand. I am sure if I bench rested it, it would even do better.

The 9c I shot at 15 yrds off hand and it did 3 inch groups. I am still feeling this one out. But for a CCW gun it is excellent.

I may try to install an APEX sear down the road. But, for now it is just fun to shoot 'em up :)

Longrange

Bearcat
2ndamd said:
Thanks for all the replies.

I may try to install an APEX sear down the road. But, for now it is just fun to shoot 'em up :)

I just added a Apex sear to my M&P9 that I use in IDPA shooting Holly crap is that nice and smooth! Not sure I would want one on a carry gun due to adrenalin You would never even feel the trigger pull! I can't wait for IDPA to start back up!

revhigh

Hawkeye
ConradM said:

Hey Conrad !!! Good to hear from you again !!!

Welcome back !!

REV

revhigh

Hawkeye
Cheesewhiz said:
revhigh said:
ConradM said:

Hey Conrad !!! Good to hear from you again !!!

Welcome back !!

REV

It's an old post Rev.

Yeah, after I posted I realized that !! :D

I still wish Conrad was back ... I enjoyed his participation.

REV

gak

Buckeye
I was wondering about the SR9C in this discussion and was going to comment on the lack of "c" comments, til I saw MtnCrash1 and SR9C-fan weigh in. I also know the OP's thread title didn't say "C," but folks have responded with some M&P-C (and finally SR9C) comments, so...

Here's my thinking. I'm in the hunt too, and as an inexperienced shooter in this new-to-me polymer realm you can tell me if I'm off base. If thinking 9mm, I'm really looking hard at the SR9C. My impression strictly from looking/handlng the four basic variants (between the two companies) discussed is that I'd opt for the M&P40 if thinking full size, and SR9C if thinking compact with an emphasis on CCW. My logic is that, if I'm opting for full size I want more oomph for the compromise or "loss" of compact attributes, while still retaining the decent hi-cap aspect the 40 "compromise" offers. OTOH, if thinking compact/carry to begin with, the SR9C's accompanying/auxilliary extra 17 rd mag/grip extension is slicker 'n you know what from an extra versatility/functionality point of view. I like the feel of the M&P full size better than the SR9, and I like the added hi-cap flexibility of the 9C...and I like the ergos of the 9C just fine and appreciate the other improvements the "C" brought to the SR line as well. I like the grip material/feel on the M&P, regardless of size, but on the 9C that can be addressed by a Pach (etc) slip on if the more aggressive nature of the 9C's plastic checkering bugs me too much.

Latest posts