Hard chrome finish?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

modrifle3

Buckeye
I am considering another project pistol and want to do a 1911. I really like what I read about hard chrome as a finish. I have seen a couple colt custom shop guns in chrome but wouldn't know where to get a frame done. Any suggestions?

scottl

Bearcat
I am thinking of having my SR1911 CMD either hard chromed or NP3'ed

eo1bart

Bearcat
This is the best place;

http://www.originalmetaloy.com/

Look on the various forums, you'll find nothing but positive reviews. He's doing some parts for me now.

oscar

Bearcat
I see no reason other than cosmetics to refinish a Ruger. That stainless finish will be as tough as you need. Spend your money on ammo and you will be way ahead.

ArmedinAZ

Buckeye
oscar said:
I see no reason other than cosmetics to refinish a Ruger. That stainless finish will be as tough as you need. Spend your money on ammo and you will be way ahead.

With the rusting issues reported by some it may not be as tough as you hope. His money....

eo1bart

Bearcat
Anthony Williams said:
I stand with Oscar.

A.W.

Some people like me just don't like the looks of the black parts. No different than buying a new
Harley and then replacing parts with chrome.

oscar

Bearcat
If you want to replace the black parts, I have no problem with that. I kind of like the way it looks. I was talking about spending several hundred dollars to refinish the entire pistol. In 40 years, I don't know that I ever remember anyone wanting to redo a stainless gun. I had the frame of my Gold Cup redone in CPII because I have wanted a 2 tone 1911 since the 70's. It looks nice and it also tightened up the fit.

Mike J

Hunter
Ya'all have just about got me talked into having the black parts on my SR 1911 chromed. I'm waiting to see how some of the ones people are having done turn out. It seem like a good idea though.

oscar

Bearcat
Mike, it might be cheaper just to buy new parts in the finish you want and keep the black ones.

Mike J

Hunter
oscar another member here, I don't remember who now, is having his grip safety, slide stop, magwell, hammer & safety done by metaloy IIRC. He said they were charging something like $11 per part plus $16 or $17 shipping. I like the idea because I could change the look of the pistol & have a more durable finish on those parts but the parts wouldn't have to be fitted. I wouldn't want to dump a large sum into this pistol but if I could do it for around $100 I might.

eo1bart

Bearcat
Here's what I did;
New Ed Brown ss thumb safety and mag release and EGW ss mag catch lock.
Metaloy hard chrome finish for slide stop, beavertail safety and mainspring housing
$96.00 total

I'll post some photos after the parts come in from Metaloy and I reassemble the gun

MacA

Bearcat
I have a thread (Link to Thread) showing the process I went through to "remove" all the black components on my CMD. I replaced some of the parts with Wilson Combat stainless upgrades, but decided to complete the job by sending the remaining parts to Metaloy Industries. I highly recommend Metaloy. They hard chromed my grip safety, extractor, ejector, and the hammer & strut assembly. Here are before and after pics...

Before...
RugerSR1911Mods2_2_zps8a722911.jpg

After...
RugerSR1911CMDModsFinish_5_zps771a802b.jpg

Mike J

Hunter
You are tempting me Mac. I need to wait though. I have been furloughed from work last week & this week. They have work lined up but it hasn't broken yet. Hopefully once things get kicking again I should have the money to do some stuff. Then it will just be a matter of finding time.