Hand Forged Hudson Bay Camp from ML knives (Pic Heavy)

Help Support Ruger Forum:

countryboy

Single-Sixer
Thought I'd share some pics of my new custom ML Hudson Bay Camp knife. I think I ordered this back in may and it actually got here a little sooner than I thought it would. I don't mind Matt's turn around because it gives you plenty of time to pay. His knives are priced very reasonable (especially considering they are hand forged) and well worth the wait in my opinion.

He offers more than one version of his Hudson Bay and this knife is a combination between two of them. This knife has the blade of his H1 straighter version and the ball end style handle of his H2. It's hand forged 1095 and about 13" OAL with an 8" blade. The blade is a little under 3/16" thick and just under 1 7/8" wide at the widest. I asked Matt to use large brass pins and add a lanyard hole so it would match my other ML knives. The tiger maple handle fits my hand perfect.

I'm very pleased with it and I think it will be perfect for camp chores or just about anything else for that matter. Like the other two knives I have gotten from him, it's scary sharp. Matt definitely knows how to put an edge on a knife. After splitting the wood in the photo, the knife would still easily shave hair and cut paper like butter.

28ril48.jpg

2yni0ba.jpg

34oy4qa.jpg

Played around a little and split some white oak for the smoker.
167pc9u.jpg

2en9938.jpg

2cglsm0.jpg

34j4qo5.jpg

ML family photo. The bottom knife is my wife's and the middle one is a custom drop point Matt made me last year.
2mcdcuo.jpg

CraigC

Hawkeye
Good stuff! That's a perfect using knife. I've never handled a knife as sharp as Matt's. Here's my ML collection. I started with the big bowie, then the drop point, then I had him do a 3-piece utensil set. The bowie is my favorite.

IMG_7046b.jpg

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
CraigC said:
Here's my ML collection. I started with the big bowie, then the drop point, then I had him do a 3-piece utensil set. The bowie is my favorite.

Hi,

Craig, that's another nice "family portrait!"

When you get the knife leather photos up on your site, will we see any of the pieces in this picture again, all dressed up?

Rick C

countryboy

Single-Sixer
GraigC,

Those are beautiful! I really like the bowie and the utensil set.

Here are a few pics of the sheath I made. I used a pull the dot snap loop and it is made for left side carry since I usually have a gun on my right. I may carry it on both sides at times but it will probably stay attached to the strap on my bag most of the time.

The sheath has a 7/8 oz veg tanned lining to keep it rigid and the outer leather is 5/6 oz oil tanned. I like the rustic look of the oil tanned leather and it beads water really well. It also matches my possibles bag since it's made from the same leather.

2dtw4lv.jpg

2zzjgk0.jpg

344p6zd.jpg

I especially like the profile of the point on the Camp Knife--looks like you can get it sharp enough to do the opening cut that is usually done with a finer/smaller knife. Adds to the versatility some; makes it an all-around tool.

CraigC

Hawkeye
Rick Courtright said:
When you get the knife leather photos up on your site, will we see any of the pieces in this picture again, all dressed up?
Absolutely! I already made a sheath for the big bowie but it was an early effort and not too swanky. I have plans to do sheaths for it, the skinner and a hand forged knife my brother got recently. Just gotta get caught up on holster orders first.