Another FAV airplane Pic.....!

Help Support Ruger Forum:

pyth0n

Buckeye
F-8 would kill you on the flight deck of the carrier if you weren't real careful. Her tail pipe was about 10 inches off the deck and when she turned or waddled over arresting gear wire she could take your legs right out from under you. One night I ended up in the nets on #3 elevator I was beat up but a least didn't go for a swim. ;)
Another one on my fav list. I think it was on the WINGS program where a pilot doing the walk around tour of the plane, said it could swap ends when being catapulted. I some what doubted his knowledge when he said the F8 didn't have flaps, while pointing to the flaps.
Here it is. Approx 5 min mark.

Last edited:

Gopher

Single-Sixer
I saw her at a show earlier in the year in Texas.
DSC_0060.JPG

She had a Little Friend there too.
DSC_0145.JPG

dannyd

Hunter
This was the most fun I ever had in the Navy was Doing what the guy under the helicopter is doing hooking up the cargo. I did that for my first four years; helped change ever part on that helicopter and could do it today 42 years later. The most fun you can with your clothes on.
a-helicopter-combat-support-squadron-8-hc-8-uh-46-sea-knight-helicopter-delivers-c69502-1024.jpg

KIR

Sparks, NV
I have always heard of the F-8U...Anybody know what the U stood for? Hard to believe they had that many different models.

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
I have always heard of the F-8U...Anybody know what the U stood for? Hard to believe they had that many different models.
The "U" stood for Chance-Vaught. The Navy, at that time, designated the aircraft's manufacturer by a letter suffix. Gruman, the most well known supplier of aircraft to the Navy, was "F", as in the F4F, F6F, F7F and F9F "cat" series of fighters. There is a complete list, most of which make no sense, as "V" for Lockheed.

Bob Wright

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
Two of my most photogenic aircraft, in my estimation, were the North American P-51D-25NA Mustang in the 352nd (I think) Fighter Group's livery of 1945, and the F-4 Phantom in Vietnam era USAF camouflaged colors. For some reason, the F-4, especially when bombed up, had the pugnacious look similar to the WW II P-47 Thunderbolt.

As a matter of interest, my cousin was in the 56th FG, 8th AF during WW II. He told of painting the invasion stripes on their P-47's the night before D-Day.

Bob Wright

dannyd

Hunter
Learning to track the rotor blades on the first SH-60B's. I am the one with the tracking gun.

E42C6549-68D1-4C83-B398-BABC4FB17B43.jpeg

Latest posts