H110 44 Magnum Loads

Help Support Ruger Forum:

kimber-45

Bearcat
I have some Sierra 250gr. Jacketed Match Bullets and some H 110 powder.
I have data for 225gr. and 270gr. bullets and from the graph I created I'm figuring the max load would be around 23gr. and deducting 10% would be 21.7gr. for a reasonable starting load.
I'm wondering if any of you 44 Mag. guys have a favorite recipe for using H110 because 2400 is a Rosie O'Donnell to get right now.

I also have a bunch of copper washed 240gr. cast lead heads too and wonder what your thoughts are with those.
let me know.
Thanks.

"I also have a bunch of copper washed 240gr. cast lead heads too and wonder what your thoughts are with those.
let me know."

The "copper washed cast lead" bullets I have don't seem suitable for loads with H 110--too soft. I looked for (and found) an alternate powder that allows more range of loads than H 110. Although I haven't loaded much with AA#9, it does seem to be an option allowing more medium velocity loads vs H 110 which is strictly high end loading.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
Checking 240 and 270 grain loads online I would start at 22.0 and go no higher than 23.0 grains with H-110 and a 250 jacketed bullet in the 44 magnum. This would be a very powerful top end load. I also might be temped to start a little lower at 21.0 grains even though the manf. does not suggest starting more than 5% below max.

10-4 on a different powder for copper washed bullets. I would use moderate lead data with something like Universal or Unique. :D

http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/data/pistol

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
H110 is a magnum powder and it is not recomended for reduced loads.
Even 10% reduction from recomended max loads can cause some wierd things to happen. Close observation and a chrono is recommended if you play with it.

wwb

Hunter
Chuck 100 yd said:
......... Close observation and a chrono is recommended if you play with it.

H110 has some pretty strange pressure related burn characteristics. I'd go a step further and say if the load isn't listed, don't fool around with it. There are a whole bunch of powders that are very tolerant of load variation, but H110 ain't one of them.

Luckyducker

Single-Sixer
In my Richard Lee Modern Reloading Second Edition, it states a 23 grain starting load and a 23 grain Max load for the 250 grain bullet in a 44RemMag. Like has been previously posted, I would recommend not to reduce this load with H110. I have loaded 23.5 grains behind a 335 grain gas check cast bullet in my 45LC at 1193 ft/sec without issue, but this is certainly a Ruger Only load that didn't come from a loading manual. H110 is a very good magnum pistol powder but like any it needs the user to understand it's particulars and the main one is if reduced it can leave a bullet lodged in the bore. Load it and shoot it, you'll like it! :wink:

mikld

Blackhawk
H110/W296 are very good at what they do best; magnum loads. But the parameters are quite small, so use is normally for full powered loads, not real versatile. I have used a bit of W296, but I stuck with book loads, closely, and since have found other powders that are a bit more versatile (and "safe feeling"). Even though I have been reloading the .44 Magnum for over 25 years, I would not try to extrapolate any data for H110/W296, a bit too little and it's erratic, a bit too much and it's dangerous...

A hint for future reloading; find a load in your reloading manuals before you buy any components. Many, many fewer headaches, frustrations that way...