Gunsmith in Middle Tn. to shorten a Single six barrel?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

akmania

Single-Sixer
Anybody know of a GOOD gunsmith in Middle Tn. that canshorten a barrel on a Ruger Single Six? He would have to cut it down , recrown , drill and tap for the front sight,and shorten the ejector rod ,etc.
I have a 5.5" and would like to shorten it to 3.5" or 3.75"

akmania

Single-Sixer
Who is Jack? About how much money does this usually run?
I think it would be easier to do from the other end. Remove the barrel, cut it, rethread it, cut the ERH and rod, etc. Not familiar with anyone local to you, tho. I'd just send it to Jack.

akmania

Single-Sixer
I called Keith's shop and talked to a guy that works there.He said it would probably cost as much as you could buy another gun for.I've bought one today anyway like I wanted. Thanks to everyone for the help.

thats too bad, the Super Single Sixes with the screw on front sight are the easiest ones to work on , you do NOT need to be a machinist to shorten the barrel, and set back the front sight,,,every one I ever did in the past 50 years I did by hand, hack saws, and files, the stainless ones are the best no need to touch up ( reblue) the muzzle but cold blue always worked for me,,,,some customers wanted the muzzle "flat" polished ( in the white) Trickiest part is making sure to locate the sight hole, top dead center, BEFORE you cut off the barrel, we learned to use the holes ( front AND rear) to line it up...:cool::rolleyes:;)