Gunsite Scout opinions

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Snake45

Hawkeye
There's an excellent and informative review in the current issue of Rifle magazine, now on newsstands (and even at Walmart).

dfletcher

Blackhawk
Fun.

I bought one, made few minor changes to it - PRI brake and a Cheek-Eeze riser. I use a Weaver 2.5 to 8X handgun scope mounted low as possible. It's accurate, pretty much no recoil and pleasant to use. I really like it. The butt pad spacers are helpful too.

427mach1

Blackhawk
Here's another review of that rifle:

http://www.gunsumerreports.com/review_ruger_m77-gs_p1.php

Backlighting

Single-Sixer
427mach1 said:
Here's another review of that rifle:

http://www.gunsumerreports.com/review_ruger_m77-gs_p1.php

Thanks for the link. That's quite an extensive review.

Skalkaho Slim

Blackhawk
Love mine. Does exactly what its supposed to do.

2012-09-08_13-05-09_994.jpg

Backlighting

Single-Sixer
Can the stock be removed easily for transport?
Nice if they made a takedown version, like the 10/22.

dfletcher

Blackhawk
Backlighting said:
Can the stock be removed easily for transport?
Nice if they made a takedown version, like the 10/22.

The action isn't readily removed from the stock. You have to remove two screws as would usually be done with a plain old rifle.

I'd buy a takedown version in a heartbeat, I think a 223 would be a good choice.

bb07

Bearcat
Blackmore said:
I'll beat the drum again for them selling the export version (#06805) in this country.

I hear you. Funny how a lot of guys in the U.S. are asking for the export version and some guys here want yours :D I can't believe Ruger hasn't offered both to you guys. There's just no reason why not. In our case, the evil flash hider is why we can't get your model.
Speaking for myself, I like our version. I'd rather have the longer barrel and I love stainless.
Mine: A great bush gun
IMG_3738_zpsfff52a2c.jpg

mattsbox99

Hunter
I also have one. Mine is set up with a Leupold scout scope in Warne QD rings. I wouldn't say its really accurate, best I've gotten was 1.5" groups. It works for me though. I would like one in .223 also.

CelticArmor

Bearcat
Is the Gunsite Scout a totally new breed? Or is a modified short action Model 77 (MkII?)? I have seen an Aussie owner who modified an old Boat Paddle stock to fit his Scout. Just wondered if that could work with a Hoque, McMillan, etc.

762shooter

Bearcat
Gunsite Scout is the son of Hawkeye.

Polymer Mags are $30 at midway.

Heavy bullets shoot great out of 1:10 twist. 1.5 MOA is easy. It is not a 1/2 MOA sniper rifle. If you need something that will shoot less than 6" ( 2 MOA) at 300 yds this may not be your best pick. Assuming that one can actually shoot to the rifle's potential. :roll:

I would rather have one Scout than two Americans but your mileage may vary.

I shoot mine a lot.