Gunshow Find

Help Support Ruger Forum:

87samurai

Bearcat
I just got back from a gun show and actually bought a gun and passed up all the beef jerky and airsoft stuff. As I was walking through I heard this little voice calling and looked down and saw a SP101 9mm calling me by name,so I just made a offer and it is in my safe now. I even managed to find some moon clips there also. Can anyone tell me about this gun-likes and dislikes on ammo. I've never owned a gun that used the clips , so this is all new to me. By the way ,my 2 1/4" 357 SP101 doesn't feel so lonesome in the safe now.

jgr1974

Single-Sixer
Lucky Dawg!!!

I have had my mind on getting one for some time!!! Actually would prefer a security six nine, and while I am dreaming a 4 inch barrel. Anways good luck with the gun! I believe the barells on those are .358, so unless you reload you will not get extreme accuracy with factory 9mm. However at 25 yards you should be able to put them within a two inch group easily. When shooting at bad guys that is as far as you really should go!

DB30

Blackhawk
87sam.,
I had similar good fortune last Saturday. The weather was terible, but I trudged on to the show anyway. My reward was also a 9mm SP101, #570-275XX. It has a good home with it's big brother, a 9mm Speed 6. During recreational shooting my Speed 6 groups well with factory 115 gr. ball. I hope the SP will do the same. Handloads and personal defence loads are another story. I would like to know if the Speed 6 and the SP are bored to the same dimensions. Congrats on your good karma and let us know how your SP shoots.
Regards,
DB

87samurai

Bearcat
Well I found out the S&W moon clips won't work, so I'll have to get from Ruger I guess. Are the ones I'm looking for round or star shaped? I can't get Taurus' website to load up for some reason, so I cant check them out and Midway is b/o on the Ranch model until late March.

JimB120

Bearcat
jimbo1096 said:
I didn't know the SP01 9mm used moon clips

They do use them, but if I'm not mistaken they will shoot fine without them.

The chamber is cut to support the bullet without them, but the clips assure the proper gap, and make removing spent cases easier.

Light strikes could be a problem without them if the gap is too wide, but just eyeballing them it doesn't appear on mine that the shells are any farther into the chamber without them.

Found one myself yesterday, so I'll know for sure tomorrow ! :D

Samurai, I put some on backorder at Midway just in case. Congrats!

The 9mm should head space on the case mouth so the moon clips wouldn't be needed. It is just easier to load/unload with them.

rugnelli

I think a 9mm SP101 is very cool. I definitely like mine.

captainkirk

Blackhawk
I would think without the moon clips there would be extraction difficulties. While the case can headspace on the mouth, there is no "rim" for the extractor to push against without the clip. I've never owned one, but I thought this was conventional wisdom for rimless cartridges and DA revolvers.

captainkirk

87samurai

Bearcat
DB380, mine is 571-387xx. Are the Ruger moon clips "star" shaped like the S&W ones or "round ring" type? I got one of each with the gun- no book or box. It appears that they haven't been made since 1998- is that right? By the way, is yours a 3" or 2 1/4"?

DB30

Blackhawk
87sam,
Mine is a 2 1/4 inch barrel. My SP's previous owner indicated that he shot it without moon clips. I probably wouldn't unless I had to. The Ruger moon clips are the round rings. Last Monday morning, I ordered a pack of 10, from Ruger, and they arrived in Thursday's mail.
Regards,
DB

JimB120

Bearcat
Mine is 3" too!

Shot it today and it was accurate and relatively easy to handle in 9mm.

I shot with moon clips and without. It gobbled up everything. Without moonclips it did make it less simple to extract the spent cases, but not difficult.

At 3 yards there was just one ragged hole, SA not slow fire, but not rushing either.

At 10 yards I put down a palm size group in DA pretty much as quickly as I could get back on center mass.. since I can barely see target rings from that far. :oops:

I love this gun!

I can even exchange moonclips faster than dump shells and reload with a speed loader.

Don't understand why these didn't sell well 20 years ago. :?

87samurai

Bearcat
I just got back from the range and no problems either with of without the clips. The clips sure make reloading a lot easier. I was glad the gun shot best(so far) with my 147 gr. reloads-good accuracy and low recoil-just like my semis. Guess it's time to re order some more bullets.