Gunbroker, here, consignment or what?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Johnnu2

Hunter
"We hope to move down there summer 2024 and stay until we are both 65 and qualify for Medicare"

I had no idea that Medicare would be "use-able" in another country..????? I assume the doctors there actually accept Medicare payments; and that Medicare actually pays them...????

J.

Actually you can use Medicare in Mexico. One of the many reason that 1 to 2 million US citizens live in Mexico.

But not in Ecuador. I meant we will move to EC and use EC healthcare... which is better than the US... check the international rankings... then when we turn 65 we will return to the US... because at that point we will qualify for Medicare. Up until 65 as a retired person, you get to do the healthcare insurance dance.. and I prefer to avoid it.

SWR

Single-Sixer
nothing that I can put any light on , Her feedback on GB is darn good and i know every one on the forums speak very highly of her

I've spent the last 20 minutes or so trying to find some poor reviews about LF using google and haven't been able too , care to share what you are talking about ?
Type in " locust fork gun, remlap alabama " and her business name Mckayco llc opens in the right side of the page. There you will see the current 5 reviews, 4 which are negative. Yea I now its only 5 and complaints are always a first response instead of accolades but consideration must be given to how and why in a decision of importance

Yes I see what you are saying , I'n not really wanting to defend LF but come on,,, did you read thru them ?

the first guy lets his dealer open the package without his self being there and then claims he got shorted 1 mag, question ,,, How does he know? it's possible that LF left one out but why would she ? on the other hand it's also very possible that the receiving FFL seen a chance to get a mag that he could made money on or maybe he just missed it and threw it out with the packaging,, either could have happened and the buyer just choose to believe his dealer

2nd person says LF is <<in their word >> " ( willingly violate a listing company's (Gunbroker) user agreement/policy )" but fails to say what part of the policy is and or if they bother to contact Gunbroker about it ..

3rd guy says he knew the gun was being sold as is but bitches that it doesn't work, yet he writes >> They refuse to acknowledge any implied use or functionality and hide behind their "as is" statement.<<< so he must have read
{ what is in Her descriptions which is >>> Our sales are all listed "AS IS"...if an item is factory new and there are any issues they will be covered by the factory, all used items are NOT covered by any return policy. Please ask questions if you have any concerns or ask for pictures of any areas you do not see in the detailed pictures. BIDDING ON THIS AUCTION MEANS YOU HAVE READ THIS AND AGREE TO THESE TERMS.}

if he knew why did he bid ??

4th person says they
Absolutely wonderful seller! They sold my collection of around 450 guns and did a fantastic job! Kasey was a joy to deal with, and their organization was top-notch! They do a great presentation, and their management is superb! I couldn't have been more pleased!

Me >>>wow 450 guns and the guy is please as punch , that says way more to me than the first 3 <<<<

sorry about the bold black type,, not me doing that ,,, the computer change it up and I can't get back to the normal type

last is complaining about a 4% credit charge , well it is stated in bold that is what she charges, IF you choose to use that type of payment why the complaining about it >
here is a link to a review about LF from 2021, again take it for what it's worth

Last edited:
This last August... I was there for 35 days... it wasn't enough...
Moving to Ecuador sounds like a lot of fun!

When you do go down, please post some more pictures. I've never been to South America, but have heard good things about it.

My wife is from Bulgaria and we hope to move back there for a few years someday.

But back to the gun sales. I can imagine that consignment sales on gunbroker the way Hawk-in-WI posted about could be an easy solution. I don't know anything about it though.

Also I know places like Cabelas and Bass Pro Shop advertise that they buy whole gun collections. But I have no idea how that works and imagine it's probably not so good financially for the seller.

I have a similar problem. Live in the middle of no where and at least 1.5 hours to the nearest decent gun store.

Shipping is the big problem !!!!!!!!!
Has anyone tried using "Ship My Gun" service ? If so how did it work out ?

Any dealers on this forum in the southern or southeast states willing to work with one of us ??

Regards
Steve
I've used them a few times. Prices are good. Problem is, it only works if the ffl you're shipping to is on their list.

SWR

Single-Sixer
Yes I see what you are saying , I'n not really wanting to defend LF but come on,,, did you read thru them ?

the first guy lets his dealer open the package without his self being there and then claims he got shorted 1 mag, question ,,, How does he know? it's possible that LF left one out but why would she ? on the other hand it's also very possible that the receiving FFL seen a chance to get a mag that he could made money on or maybe he just missed it and threw it out with the packaging,, either could have happened and the buyer just choose to believe his dealer

2nd person says LF is <<in their word >> " ( willingly violate a listing company's (Gunbroker) user agreement/policy )" but fails to say what part of the policy is and or if they bother to contact Gunbroker about it ..

3rd guy says he knew the gun was being sold as is but bitches that it doesn't work, yet he writes >> They refuse to acknowledge any implied use or functionality and hide behind their "as is" statement.<<< so he must have read
{ what is in Her descriptions which is >>> Our sales are all listed "AS IS"...if an item is factory new and there are any issues they will be covered by the factory, all used items are NOT covered by any return policy. Please ask questions if you have any concerns or ask for pictures of any areas you do not see in the detailed pictures. BIDDING ON THIS AUCTION MEANS YOU HAVE READ THIS AND AGREE TO THESE TERMS.}

if he knew why did he bid ??

4th person says they
Absolutely wonderful seller! They sold my collection of around 450 guns and did a fantastic job! Kasey was a joy to deal with, and their organization was top-notch! They do a great presentation, and their management is superb! I couldn't have been more pleased!

Me >>>wow 450 guns and the guy is please as punch , that says way more to me than the first 3 <<<<

sorry about the bold black type,, not me doing that ,,, the computer change it up and I can't get back to the normal type

last is complaining about a 4% credit charge , well it is stated in bold that is what she charges, IF you choose to use that type of payment why the complaining about it >
I dont disagree with your observations. Just a point of notation and a reason to read and consider all reviews, their source and the aspects of the occurrence to conclude its overall validity.
For the original poster and myself who have a rather substantial investment to thin out , we surely dont want problems or to be taken advantage of

Yes I 100 % agree , myself I'm kind of in the same place , I've had a seller/buyers account on GB for years, yet hardy ever use it any more to sell guns because it became such a pain in the back side,,, shipping guns man hate doing that and taking guns to a gun show any more , what a waste of time , and that's even if you can get a show to rent you a table

in my state we can sell doing a face to face but that's getting iffy , selling your guns to a store, they screw the heck out of you , putting them on consignment at a local store can take forever and you have all those folks handling your guns , taking them in and out of display cases NO THANKS

getting off subject sorry , wished i had a better answer but you are right,, do your research and go from there

SWR

Single-Sixer
Yes I 100 % agree , myself I'm kind of in the same place , I've had a seller/buyers account on GB for years, yet hardy ever use it any more to sell guns because it became such a pain in the back side,,, shipping guns man hate doing that and taking guns to a gun show any more , what a waste of time , and that's even if you can get a show to rent you a table

in my state we can sell doing a face to face but that's getting iffy , selling your guns to a store, they screw the heck out of you , putting them on consignment at a local store can take forever and you have all those folks handling your guns , taking them in and out of display cases NO THANKS

getting off subject sorry , wished i had a better answer but you are right,, do your research and go from there
I reached out to GB and asked how to view the list of their Top 25 sellers and they replied, that information is not available ????????? HMMMMMM. Seems that information would be interesting if not of merit to a lot of buyers

You do have to be careful who you deal with. About 20 years ago, I moved to the Denver area for work, and had to get my firearms appraised for the new home owner's insurance policy. I checked in at the closest gun shop ('Gunsmoke Guns' in Wheat Ridge) and an employee there said they would do it for free. Great! So, I cased all of my firearms, loaded them all up in a van, and hauled them all over to the shop. After I get 'em all inside, the owner walks over & says it will be $5 per gun for the appraisal. I was pissed about the "bait & switch", but paid for it just because of the hassle factor involved. But I never did business with them again.

Turned out the owner (Rich Wyatt?) was a real dirt bag. Another FFL in the area told me that Wyatt was later accused of trying to steal an entire firearms collection that he took in on consignment, was eventually convicted on multiple charges including fraud & conspiracy, and spent time in the hoosegow.

As always IIRC, FWIW, IMHO, YMMV, etc.
:)

bwct

Bearcat
Type in " locust fork gun, remlap alabama " and her business name Mckayco llc opens in the right side of the page. There you will see the current 5 reviews, 4 which are negative. Yea I now its only 5 and complaints are always a first response instead of accolades but consideration must be given to how and why in a decision of importance
Kasey McKay(Locust Fork) is a "class act". She and her team are currently selling items for me and I couldn't be happier.

That is a concern in the back of my mind. If I were to put a gun, or several, on consignment and the gun store closes down or goes bankrupt? What happens?

I was worried about that, with a gunsmith years ago. I had sent an antique rifle to him, and what I thought should have been a quick job dragged on for over a year. At one point I heard he was in the hospital, and I though, "Great, if he dies I'm two states away and will never see that rifle again!" Turned out it was something minor; he eventually got the work done (typical gunsmith ;^) and shipped the rifle back.

But if you have a bunch of guns to put on consignment, it might be best to do it in batches, or maybe find more than one FFL, and split the guns (and the risk) up. Frankly, I'm not sure putting 40/50/60 guns on display at one shop, all at the same time, is even a good idea. I saw that happen down in Arizona five years ago, and that collection overwhelmed the shop, and just sat there because they were priced too high for that market. No opinion on auctioning off large collections (zero experience).

As always FWIW, IMHO, YMMV, etc.
:)

Last edited:

larry8

Single-Sixer
I found a personal seller/buyer at a local gun show that wanted to buy a bunch of my guns. I had purchased several guns from him in the past and he seemed like an honest guy to do business with. Since I was moving out of state, I didn't want to take all my collection with me, so I put out a dozen guns and had him come over to give me an estimate. If it would be fair I'd sell them to him right there, and if I thought he was trying to scam me I'd keep the guns and find another way to sell them off. Well, he gave me a very good price on each gun, so I sold them right then to him. A few months later I had him come over and buy the rest of my guns that I wanted to sell. So the point here is to find a buyer at a gun show that you feel confident to sell your guns to that will give you a price you both can agree on.

I kind of just did that Larry8. I have an uncle who had an FFL for years and has gone to lots of guns shows. He's pretty much out of that stuff now... but he has a family friend he has known literally since high school. Both in their 80's now. Name is Bill. Bill was talking about coming to my house and maybe making an offer on 20 guns for him to sell at gun shows. He says he goes to gun shows every weekend... I can't imagine. Anyway, then it turned out he really specializes in M1 Garands and M1 Carbines. I only had one of each and I would like to retain my Garand for now. But I took my Carbine to the Tulsa Gun show to meet him... he bought it right there for cash for what I considered a solid fair price... he will be able to resell and make some money and I'm happy. I'm going to talk to him some more but he may not be willing to take on more of my guns. Well, he said he would consider vintage S&W revolvers so I might sell him some of those. It's a start... first one out the door!

Latest posts