Gun Logs, Value, Important Info

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Chance

Buckeye
For not being a collector I am sure developing some stange habits which brings up a question or three.

Started a Gun Log using a spread sheet and have what I figure is the "standard" stuff: Date bought, Make, Serial #, Model, Cat #, Cal/Ga, Barrel Length, Cost, Value, Sale, +/-.

What criteria do you guys use to assign a value to your guns? I have RENE, the Blue Book and Standard Catalog of Firearms which all have different specific values, with RENE being, of course, the highest since it uses a collector grade based standard.

Example: RSSMX, 3525xx, both cylinders. Very nice gun wearing the proper grips and steel ERH and one of the first 1500 to get fitted with the XR3-RED grip frame.

I don't have much of a clue as how to rate a 47 yr old gun but let's use 95% for example. Fjestad hits the gun at 300 bucks with the Standard Catalog being basically the same. RENE, however, lists these "Transition 5 1/2 or 6 1/2" guns at 465. Obviously I don't have near the expierence to assign valid values to my meager collection so any ideas would be highly appreciated.

Finally, what type of info do you put in the Remarks/Notes section of your logs other than production/ship dates, boxes, papers and other obvious stuff?

Thanks

weaselmeatgravy

Staff member
To each his own, your spreadsheet sounds a lot like mine. I don't have a column for the catalog number but usually add that to the "Notes" column. I have columns for the finish (blue, stainless, blue/gold, blue/SS), percent condition, whether it is a gun I inherited, whether it is C&R elligible, what box if any it has, year of mfr, etc. In my "Notes" column, I have key features and often attach Excel comment blocks to that field if there is more than about 40 characters of pertinent info. I don't have a "Ship date" column but put that info in the comment field if I call Records on a gun.

I kind of use RENE as a value basis and adjust downward for lesser condition guns in the same spirit that Fjested uses, more or less. I also use a "gut feel" for collector prices, what I see things selling for at auction, etc. And sometimes pure fantasy for things that have no accurate price guide like oddball DA's that only me and a dozen other collectors would even care about :D

I have separate sections for old models, new models, DA Rugers, and all the rest of the stuff (long guns, autos, and "off brands"). For the "problem children", I put Hawkeyes in with old models and Old Army's in with New Models. I include all shipping and other fees in with my cost so I know down to the penny how much I really have into a piece.

When I sell a gun, I move it out of the collection worksheets into a "Sold" worksheet, but all together in the same workbook.

I try to keep it as current as possible with as much info as possible, with the thought that if I die tomorrow, will my son be able to figure out how much to expect without getting ripped off, should he decide to liquidate?

flatgate

Hawkeye
# DATE S/N Box? MODEL DESCRIPTION VALUE

Number is simply a way to count guns
Date is ship date. Like wmg, I'll use the xls comment window for other data.
S/N serial number
Box? Yes or no and comments window used for particulars
Model = Ruger's Catalog Number
Description - notable features about the gun
Value - a combo of RENE and "current trends"

I group the guns according to calibre with .44 Flattops and Super Blackhawks in one "group" but separated by Catalog Number. Same thing with Single-Sixes and Super Single-Sixes.

flatgate

Chance

Buckeye
Thanks, your ideas are very helpfull. The Comments Window sounds good but since I am using Open Office instead of the real thing, it's not available.

The more I read posts here the longer the entries in the Remarks box get. Probably not necessary to copy material from RENE and insert it in the spreadsheet. Of course at this point, there is a lot more room on the harddrive than knowledge in my head.

Values have been a pain but so far my guesses have proven low compared to the prices the few guns I have sold actually brought in.

I tried starting a seperate sales sheet but at this point it confuses more than helps and I have gone to highlighting the entries of the sold items. It seem to help looking only on one doc.

Boxes, manuals, extra cylinders, etc, are entered in the Remarks section along with production and/or ship dates.

Have already made a few formatting changes based on your suggestions, so will keep working on it.

Really appreciate the help

KTM

Single-Sixer
Good thread! I'm interested in hearing how other's handle this and look forward to more variations.

My father had started an Excel spreadsheet before he passed away. My younger brother had helped he and my mother set it up. They went with 4 separate pages/categories; Pistols, Revolvers, Shotguns and Rifles. For the Revolvers they included columns with; Make, Model, SN, Caliber, Finish, Grip, Action, Barrel Length, Price Paid, Current Value, Purchase Date and Source. The column topics were altered slightly for the other categories. Since my father passed away in 2007 most of the guns went to me so I have been the one updating and editing the spreadsheet. I think I will add a column to indicate if I have the box (Thanks for that one!). I already adding in the Ruger catalog numbers for the Rugers, I put those in the "Notes" column that I added, may have to make a specific column for it instead. I also added a column for who the gun went to whether it was me, my brother, one of my sisters or if my mother kept it or if it has been sold. My brother and I have discussed adding hyper links to photos of the various guns. I have the Blue Book and Standard Catalog of Firearms, I really need to sign up to get RENE. Every time I'm about to sign up for RENE something else comes up that I spend the money on... :roll:

Chance

Buckeye
I have also thought about pictures linked to the entries KTM. Since I run my own web server out of the house it's certainly no problem and photobucket has a bunch of our pics now anyway.

I have been listing the finish in the Remarks box although the Ruger cat # tells if it is Blue or Stainless.

Right now I have a seperate spreadsheet for boxes and manuals that didn't come with guns.

Does anyone link pictures to their entries? Is it worth the effort?

I'm just using an Excel spread sheet that has columns for manufacturer, model name, model number, serial number, caliber/gauge, type (SA revolver, SxS shotgun, B/A rifle,etc), mag capacity, bbl length, finish, sights, stock/grips, ship date, condition, date acquired, and a LARGE "comments" section for everything else. It's amazing how much "else" there gets to be.

I usually have it sorted by manufacturer, then model name, then model number, but obviously I can sort by barrel length or caliber or whatever suits me. And I fully admit my wife set this up for me and helps me out when I get into trouble with it. She is, in fact, the one who drove me to do this . . . keeping better track of her inheritance, I guess.

I have played with adding a picture link column or two, but that would require me to take decent pictures of everything and I just haven't worked up the enthusiasm. Besides, after looking at WMG's photos I feel totally inadequate in the photography area.

Frankly, I don't know how I got along without this spread sheet. It points out things I don't know about my stuff. It also forced me to actually get the guns out and look at them when I transcribed all the detailed data over from my old paper records . . . caught a lotta mistakes there.

:D

contender

Ruger Guru
I built a spreadsheet a long time ago, and I don't bother with add ing a value section as it changes too often for me. I do have a purchase price column, and a column to show who I got it from. But, I have a LOT of details about each & every gun. All my SA"s are in one list, and sorted by caliber. I put a lot more details in my spreadsheet so that when a question comes up about a certain gun,,, I can look it up rather than dig around in the very tightly filled gun safe.
I'd say just add the info that's important to you and leave it at that.

flatgate":1qhradty said:
# DATE S/N Box? MODEL DESCRIPTION VALUE

Number is simply a way to count guns
Date is ship date. Like wmg, I'll use the xls comment window for other data.
S/N serial number
Box? Yes or no and comments window used for particulars
Model = Ruger's Catalog Number
Description - notable features about the gun
Value - a combo of RENE and "current trends"

I group the guns according to calibre with .44 Flattops and Super Blackhawks in one "group" but separated by Catalog Number. Same thing with Single-Sixes and Super Single-Sixes.

flatgate

If you have more than one safe :eek: you need to leave a column for which safe it is stored. J/S :?

Chance, I started to go that way, but realized that once you decide to use a spread sheet format it's just as easy to put in a whole bunch of "characteristic columns" and catch everything of interest in a usable format. And even with all the columns I use, the "comments" column is still larger than I'd like it to be.

I don't, as yet, have the "which safe" problem.

:D

THE MIG

Bearcat
Sorry guys I cheated. As far as listing my guns I am using the Gun Tracker Program from the Blue Book of Guns. It is expensive, around $ 50.00 but it is good allowing pictures, modifications, and accessories to be added to the value of the gun and uses the Blue Book grading system.
Another good program is the old 2.4 gun tracker program, sold buy Lock Stock and Barrel. With it you can record everything above plus seting up maintenance schedules for cleaning you're guns. It was the predicessor to the gun tracker program. Sells for $ 30.00.
The last is a no frills program, Kinda like building you're own spread sheet, that is put out LEE LOADING SYSTEMS.
It records you're gun information. If you are a reloader it will record the rounds that you reoaded by caliber. Cost under $ 15.00

THE MIG

I've got one of those wide ruled notepads with a pencil attached on a string. Guess I got to get a better method. Memory is getting so bad I keep forgetting where I hid the safe. I have been fiddling with an info sheet for the computer with pictures but I'm not there yet. Good ideas here that will help me finish mine I hope.

Leverdude

Bearcat
jimbo1096":1keo0vpy said:
I've got one of those wide ruled notepads with a pencil attached on a string. Guess I got to get a better method. Memory is getting so bad I keep forgetting where I hid the safe. I have been fiddling with an info sheet for the computer with pictures but I'm not there yet. Good ideas here that will help me finish mine I hope.

Thats what I do.
I keep meaning to do something on the computer but even if I do I'll keep a paper log. Maybe I'm old school or just silly but I can picture having a book for alot longer than these electronic things & my book never refused to open or got jammed up yet. In my life a computer is a convenience, a useful one but not something I think I should depend upon.

I original set up a data base in MS Access. I later transferred it to an MS Works data base because Works is a lot cheaper. I usually just extract to MS Excel or a comma delimited file if I need to do something different or share it.

KTM

Single-Sixer
I print out a copy of my Excel spreadsheet to keep around as a backup and to pencil in updates until I can get time to update the spreadsheet. It's also nice to have the printed copy around for a quick look now and again.

BC Mike

Single-Sixer
I started laughing when I realised you guys have those spreadsheets for your own guns and not to track the general population of Rugers. I guess I will just rely on my memory for now for my two 3 screws.

Mike

b1buddy

Single-Sixer
I just found this thread. I should be out in the barn working, but this is just too much fun!!!

I use a spreadsheet, and after reading this, I expect my spreadsheet will grow. More columns for sure! Maybe even more pages. There are three safes with this "stuff" stored and some just sitting around !!

I have both the Blue Book Inventory software that has the online updates for the Blue Book information itself. After putting in a bout 3 of the guns, I gave up. I have sent them several suggestions that would make their program a lot more useful for collectors, but I suspect that those words are pretty much ignored.

Also, I have a copy of the free inventory software put out by the GOA with new and renewed memberships. It is far too complicated, and is better suited for a FFL business.

Thus, my old spreadsheet is the best for me so far. The one thing not mentioned so far is that I have mine formated such that the print area will only print enough of the information that I can carry a reduced copy with me to shows, etc. to reference for S/N information, etc.

Good thread for me!