grips for ruger super blackhawk

Help Support Ruger Forum:

dogesco

Bearcat
Some of you saw my post from a few days ago.

Long story short, I just got a new model superblackhawk for a steal of a price.

It has ugly plastic grips on, and I want new grips.

Can you recommend me some quality grips? Any good custom makers that I need to contact?

I'm looking for wood mainly. A dark wood probably, but will look into all options. Also interested in antler.

Thanks! Post pics if you have them!

swindler1

Single-Sixer
101_0796.jpg

101_0797.jpg

101_0798.jpg

swindler1

Single-Sixer
BIgMuddy said:
I was going to post some until I saw those from Swindler....I would be embarrassed. Those are amazing.

Dan

Thank You. That is Moradillo. bare wood , polished, no finish applied.

mjoinercpd

Bearcat
Really like the grips I ordered from this fellow forum member. Cost was fair and really pleased with them. The only problem I have had is everyone who has seen them wants a set and I have ordered four sets for two pistols. But the second two sets were for my Dad. I was happy to do so. (birdseye maple were my choice)

http://www.privatescustomgrips.com/

flatgate

Hawkeye
You actually shoot .44 mags with those "cheese graters"? Wow!

.44 cal. Super Blackhawk
157334697.jpg

.45 cal. Blackhawk
157334692.jpg

I love that box of ammo I got from a friend! :D

flatgate

exlogger

Single-Sixer
You actually shoot .44 mags with those "cheese graters"? Wow!
No worse than having my knuckles busted by a square trigger guard...Just kidding :wink:

I picked these grips because I have smooth ones on my Redhawk and they get slippery when my hands get sweaty. I go on long hikes in the summer and I was hoping they would provide a better grip. I haven't shot them with Mag loads yet, just my milds reloads. So far so good......

David Bradshaw

Blackhawk
flatgate... That there 10-1/2-inch .44 "SILVER HORNPIPE" looks like borrowed the sight off a Freedom Arms silhouette revolver.
David Bradshaw

pvtschultz

Blackhawk
Turbo said:
mjoinercpd said:
http://www.privatescustomgrips.com/

Is this guy still selling grips?? Nothing on his site or ebay???

I'm still out here and making plenty of grips. I've been busier than a two-peckered billy goat lately which has kept me from posting any grips on ebay. Almost all grips that I have sold as of late were pre-ordered through my website. Click on any of the revolvers shown on the main page for a list of woods that I keep on hand. I'll be finishing a major site overhaul once the snow starts falling.

flatgate

Hawkeye
David Bradshaw said:
flatgate... That there 10-1/2-inch .44 "SILVER HORNPIPE" looks like borrowed the sight off a Freedom Arms silhouette revolver.
David Bradshaw

Nah, I stopped by a local welding shop and asked if they had any scrap 1/8" steel. One of the guys
showed me a 55 gal. drum full of scrap. I walked out of there with my pockets filled with "sight making"
scrap......
Look at the "Factory" sight I had Ruger install on the New Model shooter.
52401191.jpg

Somebody's been listening to our pleas! One can always
shorten a front sight but it can be a pain in the rear getting a taller front sight............

flatgate

David Bradshaw

Blackhawk
flatgate... BRASS GRIP FRAME
Sweet brass grip frame Blackhawks you have. In 1977 I shot an old model Super Blackhawk, with brass grip frame, at an IHMSA match in Maine. I then put the hammer down, crossing this land of ours, to shoot it in the first IHMSA International Championships, held just east of Los Angeles.

Later, I asked if Ruger could determine whether my brass SBH was factory original. No, there was no way to verify, as the brass grip frame was not recorded in shipping. Or, if a brass grip frame was noted on a shipping paper, that invoice would be the only record. Ruger verified my brass grip frame as cast in their foundry. Most of the brass frames were shipped as parts, and required finishing to the gun.

Ruger finally tired of complaints regarding casting flaws, and scrapped the two barrels of brass frames on hand. You probably know the brass grip frame story better than I.

SILVER HORNPIPE
A third look at your stainless 10-1/2" Super Blackhawk reveals more than the addition of a Freedom Arms-style silhouette blade sight. Your SBH looks to have a standard-length ejector assembly. Whereas, the KS411N---a.k.a. "Silver Hornpipe," came with a long ejector, which I pressed Ruger to incorporate on the .357 Maximum; and, immediately after, the KS411N.

Which leads to another question: is that a Ruger barrel?
David Bradshaw