Grips and Stuff

Help Support Ruger Forum:

gunsbam69

Hunter
Here are a couple new pics of my favorite .45 John Linebaugh spiffed up for me
SANY1942.jpg

SANY1941.jpg

Here are some of my friend Rob's new toy with some tiger maples we just put on it.
SANY2000.jpg

SANY2003.jpg

SANY2005.jpg

SANY2004.jpg

Here's the same gun with another set of hedge we did out of a post that's been on fire a few times over the years. These actually have a smoky, dark color to them, but the camera doesn't show it. I'm thinking it's time to step up to a non-walmart camera.
SANY2010.jpg

SANY2015.jpg

SANY2019.jpg

SANY2023.jpg

Here's one of Rob's hammer forged damascus skinners with a Sambar stag handle. It's 1095/15N20 twisted damascus with silicone bronze and nickel silver hardware, with a little file work on the guard and matched carving on the pommel and guard. My camera refused to capture the damascus pattern on the closeups of the blade, so I posted the best pic we could get.
SANY2030.jpg

M'BOGO

Buckeye
My tastes run the same as yours sir, very nice.

What are the particulars on the Limbaugh, besides the long ERH?

wildwillalaska

Single-Sixer
What material is used on the first set of grips? Did John make the Osage ones as well, really-really like those. I may have to try and track down a chunk when visiting the folks in Texas this Christmas. I love the way that stuff turns such a warm color of orange over time.

Very nice shoes for sure.

gunsbam69

Hunter
OK guys, to answer questions, when I originally told John I wanted him to work my .45 over, he told me to just grip it and shoot it. He's always trying to teach me to be frugile like my dad, (both tight krauts) :mrgreen: I told John I knew it would shoot fine, but I'm running heavier loads like my favorite 355 Keiths with 22 of 110 a lot of the time, and wanted the extra barrel weight, and just like the way it looks and balances. John's finished barrels are .805 O.D. and I love the way they feel. He also cleaned up the action, and did his Linebaugh free spin with a Keith style Bowen locking cylinder pin. He milled the front sight and I had Hamilton send him a field rear. I told him I wanted to do some black micarta grips, and he told me it needed ebony, so that's the way we went. The grip frame also has John's sweep on the back side.

Rob and I did the maple and the hedge grips. They're both on the same gun, which is Rob's new toy. Rob's like a woman changing shoes with grips, and he's far from done. I think there's a set of snake wood coming up next. We've got some claro and desert ironwood on the way that is extraordinary. Also got some Holly for my Bisley .44 Flattop, and plenty of extra. I'm guessing he won't be able to pass on that either. He likes to play dress up with his new Bisley. The cylinder fits in his like John made it. NO endplay. 1 in a thousand fit. He also makes some high quality damascus knives, as well as high grade carbon and stainless. He's a journeyman smith, but I believe he's ready to go do his masters testing whenever he gets bored with making grips for awhile. You can look at a few of his pieces on his site at http://webercustomknives.com/

We've decided to go into gripping full time together for now, and I've decided to go ahead and start doing some single action work for other people.

Thanks for all the good words guys, we appreciate it :!:

Erik

Bearcat
I love the maple grips! I made a pair of grips for my Mark iii out of cherry and they turned out really nice. Wood grips are so much nicer than plastic ones.