Grip Frame question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

joe812

Single-Sixer
I have an stainless Old Army grip frame, marked XRN-3. Is this is a XR3-RED with different marking? I looked through the old article by Bill Hamm and Boge Quinn, but didn't see that exact marking. Also, printing out jpg and lining up the frame to the picture, it seems to match the XR3 closer than the XR3-RED. Looking to get some nice stags from Sack, but need to have the right frame.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Joe,

Buy grips for an XR3-RED size grip frame, new or old model.
What gun did you want to put it on?

Yours is the exact size of the XR3-RED. The different casting # XRN-3 is because it's an old model style in carbon steel, and also because it has a wide trigger slot for the Super Blackhawk trigger. Yours just has not been blued. That grip frame was used on all 1985 and later blue OAs. The early OA blue guns up to 1985 had the standard old model XR3-RED alloy grip frame and skinny slot for the standard trigger, the same as all old model Rugers (except Super BHs) after 1962.

The stainless OA grip # is KXR-3. Same size as XR3-RED but different # because it is stainless also with the wide slot. Stainless steel grip frames with wide slots came on all stainless Old Armies.
NOTE: the #KXR-3 was also used on the earliest new model stainless grip frames until changed to #KXR-3 N, and then changed again to #K(in a circle)XRN-3.

Those OA SS and carbon steel grip frames are the only two non-aluminum alloy grip frames that are drop-ins on old model Rugers.
I have two like yours on old model Rugers in the white. They never rust because I polished them.
orig.jpg

large.jpg

Bill Hamm's article is great but needs a little updating/clarification.

Tip

Single-Sixer
Hondo44 said:
Joe,

Buy grips for an XR3-RED size grip frame, new or old model.
What gun did you want to put it on?

Yours is the exact size of the XR3-RED. The different casting # XRN-3 is because it's an old model style in carbon steel, and also because it has a wide trigger slot for the Super Blackhawk trigger...

Those OA SS and carbon steel grip frames are the only two non-aluminum alloy grip frames that are drop-ins on old model Rugers...

I love it when I learn something new about Rugers!
Thanks, Jim!

joe812

Single-Sixer
Jim,

Thanks for the info. Looking at mine, it seemed too shiny for carbon, so using a magnifying glass, I did find a K in a circle about 3/4" away from the rest of the marking, so this must be a SS version. Wouldn't have noticed except for what you wrote. Anyway, some years ago, I had Larry Crow convert an old flattop .357 (1957) into a .44 Special. I had modified another grip frame, but while reading "Single Action Sixguns", got the hankering to change out. The original wood grips are too blocky for me, so I just finished sanding them down last night, with a coat of True Oil on, but like I mentioned, will probably got some stags. Just have to wait, as I have a pair coming from him for another gun. Again thanks for the education.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
SATCOM said:
Hondo44,

Sharpe looking Hawkeye. Please tell us the story of a New Model Super on it.

SATCOM

Thank you. I was toying with grafting a Super Blackhawk hammer to the Hawkeye hammer. I just stuck that NM hammer in it to get the feel, but of course it won't work as is. The Hawkeye hammer has a large blade like the Ruger Old Army black powder hammer. I've been looking for a spare and keep the original.
But the Hawkeye hammers are so rare and impossible to find.

If I find an Old Army hammer I may just graft a Super hammer spur and modify it to work in the Hawkeye similar to my single six:
cid_20140416_083959.jpg