GP100-Confessions of a S&W Snob

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Msmyth01

Bearcat
For years, if it was'nt a S&W double action, it wasn't worth my time. I always like Ruger single actions, but the idea of a Ruger double action left me cold. Well, I was at a LGS/indoor range over the weekend. They had a used range gun Gp100, blued, 4", hogue grips. My first thought was, that's one ugly gun. The grips look hideous. Then I actually held it in my hands. My heart raced. Started sweating. It felt absolutely wonderful. Great balance. Manufactured in 2009. Said to have been shot "alot". Other than normal handling nicks, it looks rarely used. I couldn't find any sign of top strap cutting that I normally see on used 357s. The ejector rod design threw me off for a second, but I'll get used to it. Lock up is tight, no endshake, what a tank. With box, lock, paperwork, etc., I paid $400.00 out the door. Not great, but good to me. Oh, by the way, trigger is as nice as my S&W 28-2 that was made in 1967. Pics to follow later today.

Msmyth01 said:
For years, if it was'nt a S&W double action, it wasn't worth my time. I always like Ruger single actions, but the idea of a Ruger double action left me cold. Well, I was at a LGS/indoor range over the weekend. They had a used range gun Gp100, blued, 4", hogue grips. My first thought was, that's one ugly gun. The grips look hideous. Then I actually held it in my hands. My heart raced. Started sweating. It felt absolutely wonderful. Great balance. Manufactured in 2009. Said to have been shot "alot". Other than normal handling nicks, it looks rarely used. I couldn't find any sign of top strap cutting that I normally see on used 357s. The ejector rod design threw me off for a second, but I'll get used to it. Lock up is tight, no endshake, what a tank. With box, lock, paperwork, etc., I paid $400.00 out the door. Not great, but good to me. Oh, by the way, trigger is as nice as my S&W 28-2 that was made in 1967. Pics to follow later today.

I'm surrounded by snobs. That's okay. Less competition. What's funny...You think you've discovered the GP-100? Compared to the Security Six, the GP-100 doesn't have a chance. I'm a snob too.

WAYNO.

ChiefTJS

Blackhawk
I had much the same sensation yesterday with a 5" GP-100, heart raced, palms sweat... Came home and ordered one as quick as I could. Just felt perfect in my hand and the balance was amazing to me. I've had a 4" GP for years that makes me very happy but this 5" has me very excited.

wproct

Single-Sixer
This thread has been a great read. I had previously owned both a 4 inch and a 6 inch GP100, and foolishly had traded off both of them. Always regretted it, and then I stumbled onto a new 5 inch GP100 at a gunshow a couple of years ago and it followed me home and I'll never let it go. I love my Smith & Wesson revolvers, and I've had a security six, but to me the GP100 is simply one of the best.

Andyd

Bearcat
I had bought my GP 100 when it was offered to me for a good price about ten years ago. It ts a pretty solid gun and my sons and I have shot it for several thousand rounds. It is a .38 Special with fixed sights and a four inch barrel.

My Service Six has a nicer action but i find the GP100 to balance better for fast shooting, particularly with the Nills on it.

image_zpsc5a57bc9.jpg

Uncleman

Bearcat
I just bought a SP101, 3 inch, stainless. I have not fired it yet but will give it a range test along side my S&W M19 combat magnum. These are different guns with the Smith clearly the beauty pagent winner but from what I hear the Ruger is a tank and will not disapoint. I'm looking forward to posting a range report

Carry_Up

Single-Sixer
Msmyth01 said:
For years, if it wasn't a S&W double action, it wasn't worth my time.
Yes, and the years you refer to were a long way back - 1980 and before approximately. I'd like to hear your updated analysis after trying out a new S&W!

-CU

jsh

Single-Sixer
I was the same way sw or colt. I am going to move my 29 105/8 44 in a move after a 357sm blackhawk. I doubt I will ever get rid of my 19 though.
I wish Ruger would build a 45acp wheel gun that would run with moon clips. My 625jm would be down the road.
I have bought and traded into two gp's in the last year. The 357 I had shot a fair bit prior to getting it. The 3" 38 was a nib. The 38 out of the box has exceeded any new sw in the accuracy department. Lock up was superb. Cylinder and bore size was also over the top.
Jeff

Beauetienne

Single-Sixer
One of the good things about a well used firearm is that the action has been smoothed out by use. The GP100 is a fine revolver and I like them. Congrats and welcome.

jimd441

Blackhawk
Welcome to the GP100 club - my guess is that you will appreciate it even more over time. Based on your comment, the grips must fit your hand size well. Mine came with the Hogue grips as well and they didn't fit my small hands so I replaced them with the old style rosewood and rubber grips. Now I'm a happy camper.

Do you have a preferred round that you plan to shoot?

Jim

Tommy F

Single-Sixer
I collect and shoot S&W DA revolvers. I also shoot RBHs for single action fun. I recently took my unfixed SRH 454 out with multiple 45 Colt hand loads and shot them all double action only and had ablast.

wingnuut

Bearcat
I live 10 miles from S&W , everyone has a few smiths employee discounts and freebes to LE , their every where, I bot a 4in sp101 and it is awesome every one I shoot with loved it and me to