GP 100 .38

Help Support Ruger Forum:

jmelcock

Single-Sixer
I have an opportunity to get into a GP-100 .38 stainless for $320.00. I havn't seen many around. Is this something to look into? What are thoughts?

actionflies

Bearcat
The .357mag caliber model is exactly the same gun as this one and you can still shoot .38 through it. Save you money and get the .357mag caliber model.

Terry T

Buckeye
They are quite rare.

I've noticed a lot of gun parts on Gunbroker.com - the frames on confiscated guns are chopped up but then folks buy the left over parts - one can pick up a 357 cyl. for not too much. Swap out the cyl. and use 357s. Then when you wish to sell, sell with both cyl. A collector would like the .38spl and a shooter would like the 357. :D
Terry T

btrumanj

Single-Sixer
I'd buy it too. Sounds like a good deal to me. Some may want the more powerful .357 but in truth there is absolutely nothing wrong with the .38 Sp. for most uses, and the +P loadings give it a bit more oomph. It's one of my favorite calibers :)
BT

WrenNH

Bearcat
btrumanj said:
Some may want the more powerful .357 but in truth there is absolutely nothing wrong with the .38 Sp. for most uses, and the +P loadings give it a bit more oomph.
BT

As someone posted recently (and I think he was quoting someone on the forum), "The only place 38 special isn't a manstopper is on the Internet"

:lol:

jmelcock

Single-Sixer
Nice! Thanks everyone for the input. Don't want to rush into anything. I will post pics if I decide to get it!

Mik3e

Bearcat
The cylinders are interchangeable, but are the barrels? It'd be a shame to have the 38 barrel damaged by the 357 pressures.

WANT A LCR 22LR

Bearcat
The bottom line is to buy what you like and not worry about resale. If you are going to keep a gun long term, resale value means little.

My first gun ( Jan of 2010 ) was a new stainless GP 4" 357. I had settled on a GP 4" and not knowing any different got the 357. The GP is now the house gun and a LCR 38 carry. Both run 38+P as firing a 357 in the house is way too loud and I want comon ammo between all guns I own.

So, knowing what I know now, a GP 38 would have fit the bill just fine.

I'm pretty sure there are some pictures of a GP 38 and 357 on the Ruger web site. I'm also pretty sure the cylinder is shorter and the forcing cone area of the barrel longer to meet the cyl. Other than that I don't see a diference in barrel strength.

Supposedly a gun built for 38 is slightly more accurate than a 38 shot from a 357 but I have no hard data. Other than that and supposedly some police depts forbiding 357 as carry opting for 38, I see no reason to make a 38 when a frame is designed to be strong enough for 357. ( The LCR 38 is aluminum framed and the 357 steel, in that case I can see a market for the 38 )

lfpiii

Blackhawk
Ruger introduced the 38 special GP-100 to capture some of the security guard market from S&W, Taurus and yes even Rossi. Prior to Glock pushing state legislative changes, most state only authorized 38 special for security work.

The biggest law enforcement contract Ruger got was from the NYPD. The contract stipulated 38 special, fixed sights double action only with bobbed hammers. While the gun was outstanding many officers complained about the weight and bulk.

The guns are really not that rare. Many security companies still issue them as they are built like tanks. According to a weapons manager for Securitas, one of the largest security companies in the USA they have more than 5K in service.

I do agree with other posters that resale may be an issue.

FergusonTO35

Hunter
Maybe I'm crazy but I prefer revolvers that are chambered in .38. I never shoot .357's through my wheelguns but shoot 'em all the time through my Marlin 1894. I do have a nice blued GP-100 .357 on layaway. The .357 isn't a dealbreaker by any means but I do prefer the .38 chambering.

Calthrop

Single-Sixer
jmelcock welcome to the forum.
Ok. You did not write your location. If your in my side of town and you did not want it I'd more than than likely pick it up. Why? Because I am set up for basket case GP[and have sworn them off many times] OK.
Rationally what do you have? Aside for stainless you have not said much Can you tell if the cylinder has been repeatedly dry fired? What about cylinder to barrel gap? Dose it look as if it has had holster ware or is LNIB. Is carbon build up evident on the cylinder face? On the other hand dose the cylinder sow evidence of cleaning recently. Dose it have adjustable sights?[no necessarily a plus in every bodies opinion}.

This goes with over dry fire is over rotation of the cylinder when the trigger is pulled slowly and the chamber goes into battery. All revolvers show a bit of side to side play. They should show very little or no back to front. That is end shake. You probably went through these steps however enquiring minds want to know if the barrel is screwed on straight. Take a hard look at it.

My personal opinion is proper working order or near there it is a good deal. Much more and the cost of sending it to Ruger for a rehab would be expensive. However. A good shooting .38Special GP-100 is a joy to be hold. Less blast and recoil on a very manageable platform where follow up shots, if needed, are well manageable. k