• Officers

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Defender

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

hittman

Staff member
Which size 1911 do you prefer and why?

Do you believe any one is more or less reliable than the other(s)?

I'm not voting because I'm not experienced enough with 1911's to know the difference on my own. As I've said before, only one I've ever owned or fired is a full sized RIA I've had only a year or so.

Snake45

Hawkeye
I'm a huge fan of the looks, balance, and "carry-ability" of the LW Commander series. But I actually prefer shooting a full-size all steel GM.

I don't yet trust the reliability of any 1911 system with a barrel shorter than 4.25". Saint John Moses Browning built a lot of "overkill" into the original 1911 platform. IMHO the Commander trims all of it out and gets down to the bare minimum of what you need. Anything less is just that--less. :?

Anthony Williams

Single-Sixer
For the first time I found myself agreeing with Snakes.45 on one point.
And that is, that I like the looks of the full size 1911. However, I don't care to tote one of those around, they just seem to big and heavy for a concealment gun. I used to like the Commander for that purpose, that was until the Officer's model came out, a model which I prefer above all.

A.W.

The Wall

Single-Sixer
I carry my full size and it's very comfortable. With the proper holster you don't even know it's there. Actually I was surprised at how well it carries.
The single stack mag. well and slender frame of the 1911 makes it great to carry. Im a fairly large guy at 6'2 and 240lbs. so I'm sure that helps. I'm sure the other sizes would carry just as good. I carry it OWB covered by shirts or jacket with no printing at all. I can't say that about others that I carry like the XDM, and Beretta 96. I can still carry them but have to be more careful about grip frame bulge. As long as you can't tell it's a gun it's not a big issue.

Sugar River

Buckeye
For shooting I'll take a Government every time.

But for CCW I'll take the Kimber Ultra CDP. Not sure if it qualifies as an Officers or a Defender? Either way it has never missed a beat.

DSCF0167.jpg

Pete

tangocharlie

Single-Sixer
I train and compete with full size 5" (and a couple of 6") 1911's. Carry gun the last few years has been a lightweight Kimber, Commander size, .45. Works for me..... :?

DGW1949

Hunter
Snake45 said:
I'm a huge fan of the looks, balance, and "carry-ability" of the LW Commander series. But I actually prefer shooting a full-size all steel GM.

I don't yet trust the reliability of any 1911 system with a barrel shorter than 4.25". Saint John Moses Browning built a lot of "overkill" into the original 1911 platform. IMHO the Commander trims all of it out and gets down to the bare minimum of what you need. Anything less is just that--less. :?

I'm with Snake all the way on this one.

DGW

mohavesam

Hawkeye
Once one has mastered the Commander - what use is there for the 5" barrel?
What advantage would a shorter barrel have? Certainly 1 inch of barrel slide doesn't make a significant diff.

I have a few full-size 1911s but have four Commander-length guns incl. a pristine ltwt bought new in 1982.

Rodfac

Blackhawk
I've got both Gov't length models (5" bbl) and Commanders, 5 of the first and two of the 2nd. For carrying, the Commander 4-3/4" bbl, is hands down the winner. It fits well in a holster of the Tom Threepersons persuasion holster (open top, nug-fit) that I'm partial to, but also balances just right for carry in the right rear jeans pocket...more often than not, my accustomed carry method when woods loafing or light chore-ing here on the farm. I can draw and fire a controlled pair, from that pocket, to the thoracic kill zone in the Front Sight qualifying time of 1.8 seconds...equal to my time from a dedicated carry holster..

The 5" barreled Gov't model, just won't allow me to carry it in my jeans pocket, it's too top heavy, gives me the feeling that it's a hairbreath away from falling out...but I'll grant that the 3/4" shorter barrel is no more "concealable". In my experience, it's the grip length that has a bigger print, than the barrel length, up to a point.

The shorter models, are difficult to keep reliable, relying on best quality springs, guide rods, tuning etc to get CCW reliability. It's anecdotal evidence but there's a lot of it around. A .45 ACP full house round out of a short stocked pistol, is a handful

JMHO, Rod

GKC

Blackhawk
I have had a number of 5" 1911s, a few commander length, one 3.5", and several compact (3") length; for me, it comes down to purpose. However, in order to answer the poll I chose commander.

Currently I have two 1911s: a SR1911 (5") and a Colt Commander (04691 model) with the 100 Years of Service roll mark. I wish Colt made a new Series 70 all steel commander. I don't carry either gun (I have polymer pistols for carry) so I prefer the all-steel construction. Something about the commander length looks more balanced to me...

If I was going to carry a 1911 style pistol, I would opt for the Colt New Agent in 9mm.

pisgah

Buckeye
To me, the Commander-sized 1911 is probably the most sensible compromise of size, ease of shooting and carry, and reliability. Then again I have a really accurate and dead-reliable RIA Officer's-size pistol that is a joy to carry.

It is pretty much accepted among those who work on/build 1911-based guns that the smaller you go, the harder it is to obtain reliable operation. Done right, the little'uns are great guns; done poorly, they are little nightmares. The last Officer's I had was a Springfield, and it was one of the latter.

seymour balz

Bearcat
The Commander is as small as I'll go. I carry either a Gov. or Commander LW. I like the feel of both, but will say the LW dances a bit more when the triggers pulled.

I love the classic look and feel of Mr. Browning's original...it is the prettiest for sure...but the commander with full size handle is easier to conceal IMHO.

I have a Kimber CDP which I carry concealed on occasion and it is an outstanding sidearm, it has been TOTALLY reliable and the trigger is superb....

I own numerous 1911's, most of them the classic 5" variety and I enjoy shooting them the most....but I have come to respect the CDP for it's concealability....let's face it ....we carry 'em way more than we will ever shoot 'em.

I am PRO-CHOICE when it comes to 1911's... :lol: :lol: