Good Deal on a mk l? yes or no?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

bentblade

Single-Sixer
I think I scored today. What do you think?
I picked up a mk l with a 5 1/4" tapered barrel, micro sights and a factory muzzle brake. I think they thought it was a standard model that someone added sight and a brake to.
They were asking $325.
It has not been a safe queen but not abused either. serial # makes it a 1954 gun. I paid 300 + tax + ca. registration total $360 out the door.
Never shot a 22 with a brake, do they make a difference, or does it act more as muzzle weight.
The gun feels good and looks kind of cool.

contender

Ruger Guru
I always heard folks in Ca might rob ya blind. Did you use a mask to get this one?

Seriously, a factory muzzle brake is worth $125 average, and the 5-1/4" MKI is a good buy by itself at $360. In short, you did quite well!

street

Hunter
RENE list the "T-514" 5 1/4 inch Mk-I at $590 to $600 in 95 to 98% condition. As for the Muzzle break, Ruger made 2 styles. One the earliest model had Sturm Ruger and Co. stamped on it and the other had Sturm Ruger and Co. Inc. The first one with just "Co." list for $125.00 the other one with "Inc." list for $165.00. I would say that you made a very good buy for that gun.

Ruger only made two runs of the MK-I with a 5 1/4 inch bl. The first Run, serial number 26818 to 29999. In this range there were about 1400 made with tapered ears. The second run started at 73294 to 75781. In all only about 3500 total made, which is just a little more then the total Hawkeyes made. It's a shame that they don't bring the price of other Rugers considering their low product totals. Even though they don't bring the price of other Rugers the T-514 is a very hard gun to find, and anyone that gets a chance to pick up one of these guns should jump on it.

All information comes from the RENE

street

Hunter
Shooter III said:
I've never seen a Ruger with a factory muzzle brake, POST A PICTURE so we can see what that MK I looks like !
Here is a picture of one taken from the American Rifleman sometime in the 1950s. It's the gun in the middle.

410462983.jpg

Shooter III

Single-Sixer
street said:
Shooter III said:
I've never seen a Ruger with a factory muzzle brake, POST A PICTURE so we can see what that MK I looks like !
Here is a picture of one taken from the American Rifleman sometime in the 1950s. It's the gun in the middle.

410462983.jpg

LOL ! .... $37.50 for a MK I back in 1950 .... Today that would be $375.00 for a MK III

Thanks for the picture !

bentblade

Single-Sixer
street said:
Shooter III said:

410462983.jpg

The pistol I got is just like the one pictured here. If I could figure out how to post picture I would or I could email it to someone who can if anyone would like to volunteer .

street

Hunter
Shooter III said:
street said:
Shooter III said:

LOL ! .... $37.50 for a MK I back in 1950 .... Today that would be $375.00 for a MK III

Thanks for the picture !

Sorry but $37.50 is for the "Standard Model" The "MK-I" is $57.50. :lol: :lol: :lol: And don't forget the "Break" is a whopping $6.00 :roll: :roll: :roll:

Shooter III

Single-Sixer
street said:
Sorry but $37.50 is for the "Standard Model" The "MK-I" is $57.50. :lol: :lol: :lol: And don't forget the "Break" is a whopping $6.00 :roll: :roll: :roll:

Ummm, Yea, price difference from then to now ..... :wink:

kevin masten

Blackhawk
All in all, having read everyones comments, you
Did very well. I trust you are going to keep this one. The brakes are seldom encountered. The tapered barrel 5 1/4 guns you just never see.

Sometimes one just gets a well deserved break. I would not even consider selling any of mine at going prices. Try and replace one.

Bullseye57

Single-Sixer
Chad Hiddleston may chime in soon on this pistol if it is indeed a rare one. His screen name is Chet 15.

R,
Bullseye

bentblade

Single-Sixer
princeout said:
Here are Bentblades pictures.

Nice pistol!

Tim

Tim thanks for the help in getting the pictures on and everyone else for you comments and advise.

Kirby

bentblade

Single-Sixer
Oh! I forgot to mention this gun was on consignment which means the owner walked away with $225 in his pocket.

princeout

Blackhawk
Ouch! Seems a bit low to let that go. I did see three Freedom Arms Model 83's at a Houston gun shop once. The guy who sold them to the store got $1800 total for the trio. I tried to get them to let me double their money and take them home. The store said nope.
Tim

mohavesam

Hawkeye
I know this is a couple years old but there is only scattered information on the T514 and almost no factory info on the brakes...
I had one reference saying there were fewer than 500 brakes manufactured total, and another stating fewer than that! I've found only two references to Ruger knowing or documenting any T514 or T678 actually shipping with a brake (all done with interweb searches only). Even here with all the RF resources, most info appears anecdotal.

At this point, I'm believing Ruger had something competitive in mind with the compensated Target guns, but somehow just didn't deem them worthy of sales receipts or records of any type? Were they merely a "after-hours" project with drawings made up after a working model was produced? Was Jim Clark the contributing designer after all - did he and Bill Ruger have a handshake deal with Clark being able to carry on the design (as he did with the 1911 "wedge" compensators)??

The lack of info is a shame, because I think they are a very special variant, and they do indicate a (or probably the first) major shift from the then-dominant marketing aim of basic plinking pistols for the "general" market.

I happen to believe the Target tapered barrels are never-to-return and the brake is extinct also... this puts the brake-equipped T514 and T678 soundly in the "never to be sold again" category as the Hawkeye, the SRM, and even the No. 3. The (4) TRUE Ruger collectibles.

Incidentally, the 1955 price of the Target guns, adjusted for inflation, puts the relevant MSRP value at around $640-650 today - 60+ years out of production notwithstanding.

(additional info appreciated!)