Gold Label……...

Help Support Ruger Forum:

JJ_Miller_480

Bearcat
Why did it really fail ?? Was it mechanical or cost of production ?? I find it hard to think mechanical because I took one to Tanzania and used the TZ shells to shoot guinea fowl and the loads were hot !!!! But it never missed a beat……………..JJ

gunman42782

Hunter
Probably slow sales. If I remember correctly, they where right at 2K when they came out.

JFB

Hunter
I put my request in before they were being shipped, checked with LGS monthly with the reply all alicated to his distributors were taken

Sugar River

Buckeye
They were also plagued with production problems. It got so bad that, one day, Bill Jr came through pinetree and fired everybody involved with ironing out the GL issues. A good friend of mine was one of the victims in that "massacre".

chet15

Hawkeye
HAWKEYE#28 said:
"WORD WAS" CONTINUED ISSUE WITH BARREL CONSTRUCTION, WITH LITTLE DETAIL. WBR Jr? GOOD THING HE IS GONE; ELIMINATED THE QUALITY DPT AND DAMN NEAR RAN EVERYTHING INTO THE GROUND..........JUST SAYIN' :roll:

Yep...that's what we heard as well, had issues with barrel welds and the one guy that could get it done correctly was fired with the rest QC.
There are quite a few factory seconds out there with "U" prefix or suffix serial numbers, most of which have incomplete barrel welds.
Ruger had other QC issues at that time as well.
Chet15

Jeremy Pearce

Bearcat
Guru,

I understand the "U" prefix, but not the suffix part.

What would latter look like...can you give an example?

Thanks,

JP

chet15

Hawkeye
Jeremy Pearce said:
Guru,

I understand the "U" prefix, but not the suffix part.

What would latter look like...can you give an example?

Thanks,

JP

Prefix or suffix doesn't matter...its wherever the employee decided to stamp the "U". I've also seen some Ruger firearms with the "U" stamped above the number.
Chet15

chet15 said:
Yep...that's what we heard as well, had issues with barrel welds and the one guy that could get it done correctly was fired with the rest QC.
There are quite a few factory seconds out there with "U" prefix or suffix serial numbers, most of which have incomplete barrel weldsChet15

Incomplete welds is not really accurate IMO. The weld of the barrels to the monoblock was not clean and a line showed, no structural issue , just cosmetic. Rody's had a bunch of U's early on Dad I Flipped about a half dozen, all plain wood too. Some did get nice wood. My 20th year employee anniversary one has decent wood but not great. It's probably the only one in existence

Jeremy Pearce

Bearcat
Thanks for your reply about the "U," Chet.

The wood on mine has a lot of fiddleback and some nice, dark veining...so maybe luck of the draw.

Has anyone found a source for parts? Ruger Claremont hasn't been helpful in that respect.

(I did buy an extra stock from Numrich, but wood is all they carry for the Gold Label.)

JP

TinkerDave

Single-Sixer
The rumor I heard from a reasonably reliable source is that the main issue was getting skilled workers who could regulate the two barrels to shoot to the same POI. It took so much time to get the barrels properly regulated, that the cost became too expensive to keep the gun in production. TD

Latest posts