Ghost Rocket TC...worth installing in new SR9s?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I know the older SR9's trigger pull was really improved by the Ghost Rocket trigger connector, but some guys are saying after a few hundred rounds the new SR9's trigger feels pretty good. Is it still worthwhile to install the part for the lighter trigger pull and maybe a bit less over-travel?
I've got a new SR9 with the "D" shaped mag release. Thanks for your opinions!

Clovishound

Blackhawk
I have a fairly new SR9c. The trigger was not terribly smooth when it first came out of the box. It has smoothed out considerably with break in. I now have about 500 rounds through it, and really like the trigger pull. If I were to put a kit in mine, I would not go for a lighter pull, unless I had the full sized SR9 and was not going to CC with it. The 5 lb kit would be pretty close to the stock trigger pull weight.

My advice is to break it in good and see how you like the trigger after 500 rounds or so. After about 250 rounds or so, I cleaned the striker blocker by flooding the button on the slide with CLP several times, then wiping it down with a cloth. I found that this made a big difference in smoothness. It improved some after this with more rounds through it, and I pay special attention to the striker blocker when I field strip and clean.

Thanks Clovishound, I do have the full sized SR9 and there is no such thing as concealed carry in Canada, just from home to the gun club and back...but I'll wait and see before I decide on the Ghost Rocket.

ChrisInTempe

Bearcat
I have the full size SR9 and am very pleased with the Ghost Ultimate:

http://www.ghostinc.com/product/GHO_2105-E-2RRUGER/ULTIMATE-FOR-RUGER.html

A drop-in part, no fitting required. Trigger pull feels much improved and crisp. The improved trigger speeds my time to reacquire and fire again with less tendency to pull low and left (a life long illness that one). I'm several hundred rounds into this trigger, $20 well spent I'd say.

The Ghost "Rocket For Ruger" requires custom fitting, but claims to be even better. Have not tried a gun that had one in it. As it depends on fitting I imagine there's got to be some variability from who does the work?

http://www.ghostinc.com/product/GHO_2105-A-2RRUGER/ROCKET-FOR-RUGER.html

Hi Chris, The Rocket is an Ultimate with a tab for eliminating over-travel of the trigger, you shave about .025" off the tab on average to accomplish this. It sounds fairly idiot proof, but I'll just take my time and file a bit at at time until it works perfectly. Thank you for your opinion, it's good to hear from an owner and not just internet reviews. I'll pick one up! The other thing I'll do is use some oiled 1000 grit sandpaper to polish the slide guides and a dremel with cloth tip and metal polish to polish the feeding ramp.

Edirty692, if you did the installation yourself, or you've got the time to call your gunsmith quickly and ask, there's a few of us that would love to know how roughly how much we have to shorten the trigger over-travel eliminating tab...TCT tab. I've heard it's about one millimetre, or .040 of an inch. Was that right in your case? Thank you!

Edirty692

Bearcat
Got in touch with him today and he said it was about a millimetre. He said he only had to reinstall it twice and he had it right where he wanted it. I hope this helps!!

Gunsby_Blazen

Single-Sixer
i have an older SR9, i put the ghost in it and it was a lot better until my firing pin broke.
Ruger replaced it but the GHOST ULTIMATE would not fit after i got the new firing pin, i would have to re-fit it. I didn't feel like filing it down just right then and there so i put the original pin back in it and it shot great with the original parts after that.

The Ghost also gave me a weird "bump" in the trigger pull that was not supposed to be there.

My experience has been negative with Ghost but it did lighten it up.

After i have shot mine so many times, it has smoothed itself out and its better than a factory Glock trigger. I like mine with the factory parts...

Clovishound

Blackhawk
After i have shot mine so many times, it has smoothed itself out and its better than a factory Glock trigger

The trigger pull was one of the big reasons I recently purchased an SR9c. I shot a Glock and really did not like the trigger. I had a hard time hitting the broad side of a barn with it.

Coreyq65

Bearcat
I just ordered the kit from Eric at Galloway with the Rocket trigger bar and I can say wow what a difference. I used a hand file $2.00 at Lowes and a punch $3.68 and about 45 minuites and I had it working. I shaved off about a business card and a half thickness (very little)and it started working. Took me three tries. Just make sure you keep the 90 degree angle of the tab. Took it out put about 30 rounds through it and I too noticed a bump right before the break of the trigger. I emailed Eric and he quickly responded to shave off about another half a business card. So I done that and the bump is gone and now I have a trigger I love. This was my first time disassembling my gun other than field stripping it and I can say its not hard at all just take your time and do it it's well worth it.

Gunsby_Blazen

Single-Sixer
My very well broken in SR9 shoots amazing.
It is my GO-TO pistol.

Like i said, it has factory parts but that trigger is sweet now. Now, its not a competition trigger but I like it so much that i dont think i will ever part with it.

I can shoot that thing more accurately than any of my "service" handguns.

I think that I am the only person who prefers it better without the Ghost...

(i have the Galloway polished striker indicator in there, it smoothed it up, believe it or not...)
Also, i polished all of my internals too...
I took a diamond knife sharpener to it and then a cloth buffing wheel.... this may have something to do with it too :wink:

if you take the time to take the trigger assembly apart when installing the Ghost, I would also take the time to polish the parts.

Napalmhead

Bearcat
Just replaced my trigger with the Ghost Ultimate and I like it. The trigger is not as good as my XDm but it is much better than the stock SR9 trigger. I had about 2500 rounds on the stock trigger and it still felt "gritty." I would highly recommend this upgrade for anyone with an older SR9 that has a trigger that just never smoothed out. This might be one of the best upgrades out there for the price ($20) and it was very easy to install.

Latest posts