Ghost Rocket - SR9c - positives and negatives

Help Support Ruger Forum:

weiss27md

Bearcat
I never liked the over travel of the original trigger and that is the main reason why I bought this product. I got the trigger control tab adjusted to where there is no over travel now. I probably filed about 2 to 3 business cards worth off. I can't tell that the trigger is any lighter but it might be. The most noticeable thing is no over travel now.

My three complaints as of now are:
1) The trigger is very hard to squeeze like it's stuck on the first fire.
2) The trigger has a 2 stage feel to it.
3) The trigger doesn't feel any lighter.

Does anyone have any advice or solutions to these problems?
Even with these problems I would still recommend the product.

axisofoil

Single-Sixer
Advice for your issues, imho.

1) Shave more off the tct
2) Polish the trigger bar and safety plunger
3) Polish the striker and trigger bar. Still might not be noticeably lighter, but should be smoother by now.

Sal1950

Blackhawk
axisofoil said:

3) Polish the striker and trigger bar. Still might not be noticeably lighter, but should be smoother by now.

Yep, he about nailed it. Did all that to mine and it's great.
Sal

weiss27md

Bearcat
axisofoil said:

Thanks for that info, I'll do all those things.

Cheesewhiz

Hunter
The SR9c and the newer SR9's and SR40's have the lightest and smoothest triggers on any of the factory striker fired guns, so what is the problem?

Big Stu

Single-Sixer
Cheesewhiz said:
The SR9c and the newer SR9's and SR40's have the lightest and smoothest triggers on any of the factory striker fired guns, so what is the problem?

It's probably an issue with overtravel more than anything. I have a ghost rocket and it is fantastic! No overtravel at all, and a much shorter reset. That means reaquiring the target faster and more accuately. The SR9c does have a nice trigger from the factory (after you clean out all the crud and break it in properly) but if it can be made even better, then why not? It is fairly inexpensive and it works great. :wink:

axisofoil

Single-Sixer
I love love love my rocket now that it's adjusted properly.

When mine FIRST broke, it felt like it was hanging a bit too. Shaved just a hair more off the tct, then polished everything up (it did wonders for my SR40 when I put in a ghost ultimate), and now it's probably one of the nicest triggers I've ever felt on a non-single action gun.

Although the stock trigger feel of the SR9c was about equal to the niceness of my SR40 with the ghost ultimate, the overtravel on the sr9c was horrendus... 3/4 of the trigger pull or so was overtravel.

Now with the rocket+polishing, it's even smoother, and has no overtravel. Very, very nice feel.

robilmichael

Bearcat
To fix the problem with the trigger being hard to pull, take out the Ghost Rocket and lay it on top of the original trigger connector. They need to have the same bend to them. I bet that the Ghost Rocket is "flatter" than the original connector.

You will note that the original connector is not exactly flat, but has a bend to it. Bend the Ghost Rocket to the same shape. Lay them on top of each other to compare the same shape.

If the Rocket does not have the same shape it will hang up a bit on occassion when you try to pull the trigger. That will also give you the two-stage feeling.

Try it. I suspect that will cure all ills.

robilmichael

Bearcat
One other point. If you go read the Ghost installation instructions, they make a point of making sure the trigger connectors have the same bend to them. However, it is not stressed as much as it needs to be in the instructions. The lack of the same profile between the Ghost and original connectors will cause ALL of the problems you mention.

Of course, once you have it apart again doing the polishing mentioned by others will help as well.

Finally, I have the Ghost Rocket in both my SR9 and SR9C. Great triggers, light pull, no overtravel, no two-stage feeling, etc.

Good luck, and let us know if that fixed it.

weiss27md

Bearcat
They are both at the same angle so that is ok. I will just take a little bit more of the TCT and then smooth everything out.

exavid

Hunter
I put the Ghost rocket in my SR9 shortly after I got it. The original trigger pull was rough, scratchy and just plain lousy before the Rocket but much cleaner with a nice clean break and short reset afterward. The trigger pull didn't change much but that was never the problem. It took me about five assembly/reassembly operations to get the Rocket honed down to the point I wanted. I highly recommend it for the SR9.