Getting Bored

Help Support Ruger Forum:

sixshot

Buckeye
I'm getting bored, its in between rock chucks & ground squirrels & big game season so I've been punching a bit of paper to keep things a little bit interesting. A friend sent me several TC pistol barrels along with dies, powder, primers, etc & ask me to work up loads for them.
He can do it but for some reason likes me to do the load developement. One barrel was a 12" 25/20 & it has been lousy so far, even with jacketed slugs its only doing 1 1/4" at 50 yds, with cast its been shooting patterns, not groups. There's a very narrow bullet selection for the 25/20, pretty much 60-86 grs & thats it. My cast slugs are 73 gr. GC's & always shot great in my model 43 Winchester, not this gun!
Next up was a 13" 225 Winchester, this barrel shot great with about any load tested & I wasn't surprised. Then came a 12" 221 Fireball, this little gem would absolutley stack them with the right load. 15.5 grs of 4227 & a 52 gr. A Max shot about 1/2" at 50 yds with a Weaver scope & was close to max, bumping the load up 3/10's was magic, the first 3 went into .149" & it was a bit windy so I was thrilled.

Next on the list was a custom barreled Ruger #1...Everyone knows #1's are beautiful but won't shoot, well, this one will. My son put a 26" Broughton barrel on it, chambered in 22 PPC, Holy Pajama's, this baby would knock the whiskers off a mosquito at 50 yds with about anything I fed it. Every group was 1/4" or less except for the first group fired from the new barrel.

I shot 12 different test loads & all of them (50 yds) shot about the same, 2 different bullets, 3 different powders & bullets seated long. The smallest group measured .069" for 5 shots!! Yup, #1's won't shoot! You can put a good trigger on a #1, you can't put a great trigger on a #1 without messing up ignition, so you live with what you have. This baby will bug hole them with anything you feed it.

Next we decided to go camping for a week in some of the most beautiful country you will ever walk in. Lots of game, including mosquitos, good fishing & great food. We shoot the guns, we shoot the bows, we rode 4 wheelers & caught Cutthroat Trout & then we'd eat some more! We had 11 of the grandkids with us & they had a blast.

Yes, thats snow up on top of Caribou Mountain, millions of dollars of gold was hauled out of this mountain & over 10,000 people mined it at one time. There were hotels, saloons, blacksmith shops & houses full of soiled doves. It was named after Cariboo Jack, a Canadian miner in the 1800's.
One day we had 6 4 wheelers parked together & the kids were spread out for a quarter mile. Some guy pulled in right beside us & started strapping on his hip boots, I couldn't resist, I had to look at his licence plates....yup, UTAH! There's several miles of Trout fishing stream here & this hammerhead has to walk right into the middle of us! You can't even take the lid off your drink with these guys around, they'll try & drop a fly right in it.

There aren't any arm yankers in here but you can fill a skillet in just a few minutes if you're hungry. We never keep them, always catch & release.

Some of my clan catching Trout. Palisades Resorvoir sits hard on the Idaho, Wyoming border, 35 miles from Jackson Hole, lots of deer, elk, bear, moose, wolves & an occasional Grizzly.
Even in the worlds biggest playground.....I'm bored!

Dick

November

Single-Sixer
Halp! I don't see any pics! I even checked this thread on two separate tablets on two different platforms and I got nothing'. Your descriptions will have to tide me over as I sit here in the suburbs.

contender

Ruger Guru
You need to wean callshot off from getting you to do all the testing & load development work for him! That is,,, unless you are doing it to prove his guns can shoot when he says they can't.

Your pics aren't here yet,,, but I can imagine & smile. You, the family,,, in the hills, fishing & romping around,,, all good stuff. Well, except for the folks from Utah who think they need to disturb you.

callshot

Blackhawk
I'm bored also! Too busy to play and too tired to work. Still looking for an igloo squaw. Might go to Alaska soon and Panama next winter. Until then back to the salt mines, where is my pick and shovel. Steve

Sheriff

Single-Sixer
Boredom has hit here, too, but it's fixing to be cured. I have a 'spot and stalk' black bear hunt coming up aug 16th. Hang tuff, Dick. Hunting season's fast approaching. Careful with that pick and shovel, Steve. Those things have been known to cause work.

sixshot

Buckeye
I'm getting bored, its in between rock chucks & ground squirrels & big game season so I've been punching a bit of paper to keep things a little bit interesting. A friend sent me several TC pistol barrels along with dies, powder, primers, etc & ask me to work up loads for them.
He can do it but for some reason likes me to do the load developement. One barrel was a 12" 25/20 & it has been lousy so far, even with jacketed slugs its only doing 1 1/4" at 50 yds, with cast its been shooting patterns, not groups. There's a very narrow bullet selection for the 25/20, pretty much 60-86 grs & thats it. My cast slugs are 73 gr. GC's & always shot great in my model 43 Winchester, not this gun!
Next up was a 13" 225 Winchester, this barrel shot great with about any load tested & I wasn't surprised. Then came a 12" 221 Fireball, this little gem would absolutley stack them with the right load. 15.5 grs of 4227 & a 52 gr. A Max shot about 1/2" at 50 yds with a Weaver scope & was close to max, bumping the load up 3/10's was magic, the first 3 went into .149" & it was a bit windy so I was thrilled.

Next on the list was a custom barreled Ruger #1...Everyone knows #1's are beautiful but won't shoot, well, this one will. My son put a 26" Broughton barrel on it, chambered in 22 PPC, Holy Pajama's, this baby would knock the whiskers off a mosquito at 50 yds with about anything I fed it. Every group was 1/4" or less except for the first group fired from the new barrel.

I shot 12 different test loads & all of them (50 yds) shot about the same, 2 different bullets, 3 different powders & bullets seated long. The smallest group measured .069" for 5 shots!! Yup, #1's won't shoot! You can put a good trigger on a #1, you can't put a great trigger on a #1 without messing up ignition, so you live with what you have. This baby will bug hole them with anything you feed it.

Next we decided to go camping for a week in some of the most beautiful country you will ever walk in. Lots of game, including mosquitos, good fishing & great food. We shoot the guns, we shoot the bows, we rode 4 wheelers & caught Cutthroat Trout & then we'd eat some more! We had 11 of the grandkids with us & they had a blast.

Yes, thats snow up on top of Caribou Mountain, millions of dollars of gold was hauled out of this mountain & over 10,000 people mined it at one time. There were hotels, saloons, blacksmith shops & houses full of soiled doves. It was named after Cariboo Jack, a Canadian miner in the 1800's.
One day we had 6 4 wheelers parked together & the kids were spread out for a quarter mile. Some guy pulled in right beside us & started strapping on his hip boots, I couldn't resist, I had to look at his licence plates....yup, UTAH! There's several miles of Trout fishing stream here & this hammerhead has to walk right into the middle of us! You can't even take the lid off your drink with these guys around, they'll try & drop a fly right in it.

There aren't any arm yankers in here but you can fill a skillet in just a few minutes if you're hungry. We never keep them, always catch & release.

Some of my clan catching Trout. Palisades Resorvoir sits hard on the Idaho, Wyoming border, 35 miles from Jackson Hole, lots of deer, elk, bear, moose, wolves & an occasional Grizzly.
Even in the worlds biggest playground.....I'm bored!

Dick

muzzleloader

Single-Sixer
Nice photos Dick. If you don't mind, what would be the make on that chest rig you're wearing in the last pic. I'm coveting it. 8) thanks, kyle

sixshot

Buckeye
Kyle, thats actually one of Mike Barranti's nifty conversions that makes a belt rig into a chest rig by simply sliding this little "Y" shaped piece of leather over a single piece of leather strap. Rides great & very light weight, I love it. Can't remember what Mike calls it but I'm sure he can fill you in on the details.

Dick