Front sight broke off!

Help Support Ruger Forum:

gunman42782

Hunter
Was shooting my Ruger Commander today and the front sight broke off! No, it didn't come out of the dovetail, it broke in two! Never had anything like that happen in 30 years of shooting. Contacted Ruger, and of course, they are gonna send me a new one, but makes me worry about the MIM parts in this gun. I already replaced the slide stop, cause that is one part I want to make dang sure doesn't break while I am shooting it.

GaryVA

Bearcat
Ruger uses investment cast for their parts not MIM, Kimber is the one that uses MIM parts. The front sight on the Ruger is made by Novak not Ruger. I suspect Novak is having production issues and I imagine Ruger is giving them an ear full.

revhigh

Hawkeye
Ale-8(1) said:
Many of the parts in the SR1911 are in fact MIM.

Of course they are. To deny that is simply ignoring the truth.

As far as I know, the slide stop, safety, front sight, hammer, and sear at a minimum are MIM.

REV

GaryVA

Bearcat
Oh crap, there goes any good thoughts toward the Ruger. Guess that's how they make this gun so cheaply. Reckon it's built as a throw away bic lighter. What a shame, had hoped it would be made from durable parts to last a while, but I was warned, time to get a good pistol. ;)

GaryVA

Bearcat
In case you guys missed it, that was sarcasm in my two previous posts reference the MIM parts. Ruger actually doesn't make any MIM parts for the SR1911, they only make the frame, slide, barrel and barrel bushing. The rest of the parts, according to the project manager for this pistol, are produced within the U.S. by contractors. The MIM parts used are high quality same as the MIM parts used by others. Even Wilson Combat used MIM internal parts and has praised these parts in writting...

" MIM parts are extremely dense and very exact. They are much less prone to wear and breakage than a factory Colt, Spfg. etc. part. This is why we use them in our CQB's, etc. Although not quite as hard as our tool steel parts, they will last a very long time. This is why we can still quarante our total gun, including the MIM parts, for life.

The MIM parts last for life (I know of one gun that has over 100,000 rounds thru it and the trigger pull feels the same as it did when new) ....Again, all of us guys here, including Bill Wilson use the very same MIM parts in our guns. And we shoot a bunch!"

Wilson Combat

I think the breakage issue with the Ruger front blade is due to the particular odd sight produced by Novak. Seems like an oddball compared to their standard production sights. It retails for about $6 bucks and change, so I imagine they have cut every corner possible to reduce costs. Don't now if anyone has come close to touching Ruger in the record setting bazillion 1911s they've sold in the last couple years, but of that mountain high pile of guns, a broken sight here and there has only added up to a handfull. I'd not throw the gun out over a few bad Novak sights.

Best :)

Yep.

For what it's worth, I got the following comment on this subject from our old friend IOWEGAN not too long ago . . .

"I can assure you ... all brands of 1911s with exception of a few high $$$ custom guns such as a Les Baer have used MIM parts for many years. The typical MIM parts are the hammer, sear, disconnector, grip safety, thumb safety, slide lock, mainspring housing, and magazine release. Some sights are also MIM. The "giveaway" is a casting line, usually seen on the underside of the part."

He had "tuned up" an SR1911 and observed the use of MIM on the bits and pieces, and noted that they were essentially identical to, and interchangable with, Colt parts except perhaps a little "nicer" and also somewhat harder.

Were I in the market for another 1911, I'd surely try for a Ruger.

;)
JMHO

JNewell

Single-Sixer
IIRC (and I might not be), the only really problematic MIM part in 1911s was the extractor.

wapiti22

Blackhawk
I plan to replace the front sight on my SR1911 CMDR anyway, as my old eyes just have a hard time picking it up.

Any suggestions???

BTW, after 300 rds. my sight is still there

gunman42782

Hunter
Got my new front sight today! Broke it Wed, got it today Sat. That is pretty dang quick I must say. Lets hope it stays on this time!

Wheelgun

Bearcat
GaryVA said:
.... a broken sight here and there has only added up to a handfull. I'd not throw the gun out over a few bad Novak sights.

Yeah, What GaryVA said. It's pretty easy to get a bad taste in your mouth when you have an issue with any new product, but in reality, a part like a front sight on a 1911 shouldn't be used as an indicator of the overall quality of the gun itself.

I'd like to think that over time the original poster will come to praise his SR1911 as much as the rest of us.

That said, maybe I'll email Ruger/Prescott and tell 'em my front sight mysteriously popped off and they'll send me one I can throw in the range bag.... :mrgreen: