frager

Help Support Ruger Forum:

contender

Ruger Guru
Good info above.
Sometimes,, it can be crimped primers.
Sometimes you can get Berdan primed cases,, but as noted, not too often.

Another thing.
A good friend, (and lurker here,) recently experienced the same thing. Apparently he has broken pins & bent a few rods. He called RCBS,, and found that there is an "extra small" diameter pin to be used in some brass. He bought some spare rods & a bunch of pins, (off Midway.) RCBS also replaced some of his broken stuff.
You may have some brass with the extra small flash hole.

frager

Bearcat
Good info above.
Sometimes,, it can be crimped primers.
Sometimes you can get Berdan primed cases,, but as noted, not too often.

Another thing.
A good friend, (and lurker here,) recently experienced the same thing. Apparently he has broken pins & bent a few rods. He called RCBS,, and found that there is an "extra small" diameter pin to be used in some brass. He bought some spare rods & a bunch of pins, (off Midway.) RCBS also replaced some of his broken stuff.
You may have some brass with the extra small flash hole.

It's a separate step but...I use a universal decapper. It's held in place by a collet so it will slide up if met with too much resistances.

I also use & recommend universal decappers, for mutiple reasons. Because you're not resizing in the same step, any resistance you feel is from the decapping pin, so (if you're paying attention) you can tell if something isn't right!
:)

Have you tried depriming off the press?

I use a Harvey de-primer and also have the Franklin handheld de-primer. It takes a bit more time, but IMHO it's worth it.

Something like this might solve your problem.