For the 2 wheelers out there

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I would love a Janus if they made something my size. Royal Enfield has a few retro models as well.
I had a Royal Enfield Bullet 500 with solo saddle, engine guards, and panniers complete with pedestrian slicer on the front fender. It was in British racing green with red trim. It was a 65mph top speed machine but it could scrape the pegs if you wanted to lean that far over.

After what happened to my son I can't ride anymore. It took my desire for 2 wheels away. I do sometimes look at the 125 Honda Super Cub and then mentally kick myself in the ass for even considering it.

artey

Single-Sixer
My 1979 CBX 6 cylinder. Im looking for a second one if anyone knows of one
AAFAEDC7-F040-43CC-98C0-A68DCFC85050.jpeg

There's enough time for a 3hr nap 3/4 of the way to run the home stretch.
There's less time than you think. The Iron Butt Association required detailed, specific documentation along the entirety of the trip. A printed receipt for every gas purchase that showed the odometer reading, the day and time of day of each purchase. And a signed receipt from a local police/fire department employee which confirmed the city and specific location (i.,e. Brownsville fire department No. 3) where we turned around. So gathering documentation took some time.

But the most time was consumed by the frequency of gas stops. I rode a HD Road King - a heavy beast with the aerodynamic profile of the proverbial barn door which had at most 150-170 miles of range (at the 80 mph+ at which we were riding). Gas stations weren't frequently encountered during the trip - often 35 to 40 miles apart (or more). So for safety's sake we were forced to stop every 110-120 miles - which meant stopping roughly ever 1.5 hours to gas up, and the get a credit card receipt showing the required specifics. That became more problematic in small towns where the gas pump wasn't equipped to print out the information...had to go inside, give the attendant my credit card, fill up with gas, then go back inside to get the receipt (and when needed do appropriate bio functions, buy water, candy bar, etc.). South of San Antonio we were in the boonies. Running out of gas at night in South Texas would NOT have been a good thing.

Bottom line: much of our 24 hours' time was burnt gathering documentation on more-frequent-than-you'd-expect gas stops.

Still...my son and I are now certified 1,400 mile Iron Butt Association travelers, and benefit from all the rights and privileges so granted (a coffee mug and decal).

I've posted this before... make the story short, picked up a GSXR-1000 in Gillette Wyoming and left a little after 8:00 PM local
and arrived at my friends house in Brighton Michigan around 1:30pm the next day. Got snowed on in South Dakota and some rain/freezing rain,
and stopped for fuel 13 or 14 times, actually lost count. The bike only holds about 4.5 gallons and running hard 100 mile range is about it.
Got slowed down getting around south of Chicago...traffic laws may have been broken.
High on the list of stupid stuff I lived through.

As soon as you throw your leg across the seat, EVERYONE & EVERYTHING , EVERYWHERE is out to kill you. It is up to you to make sure they all fail at this attempt.
That right there is why I really don't enjoy riding street bikes much, never get to really relax and just focus on the riding.
I'm a lot happier and more comfortable on a racetrack, honestly a lot less to worry about.

If you put your rain gear on early it won't rain and you'll sweat and be soaked, if you don't put your rain gear on
Noah's ark will appear in a biblical rainstorm and you'll be soaked.
If you're riding a GSXR1000 across South Dakota at triple digit speed at night in early October snow, demons
will appear at random in your headlight beam to help keep your heartrate up so you don't freeze to death.
I thought I was the only one who saw demons, (sometimes dragons), in the falling snow.

Agree with everything except the loud pipes. When I first got my cruiser, I had deer step out in front of me at least once a week. About seven years ago I installed a Vance & Hines Big Shot exhaust. Not substantially louder under normal conditions but pretty raucous when twisting the throttle hard. I have had one (1) deer walk out since I put them on, and any time I see them alongside the road now, their heads pop up long before I get there and they often move away. I've also had no one drift into my lane as I pass, unlike when my bike sounded like a two horsepower air compressor...

One I might add is that unless you are an exceptional rider, there's probably more lean available to you than you think.
Enter a turn 60 mph too fast and you may find that you can lean way more than you ever knew possible. The adrenaline rush that comes from stepping too far over the line, but somehow getting safely back is the best feeling in the world.

My son was given this because it had a blown engine. He is rebuilding it. Can't beat the price. I sat on it and realized that a 'crotch rocket' is just not my thing.

zwbgMOml.jpg
Well Fox Mike, it takes all kinds and you cannot tell by looking. You look to be a few years older than me, but not by too much. Counting back 40+ years, all of my streetbikes were sportbikes, or crotch rockets as you call them. At age 60, I thought that I might want to grow up and get a cruiser type bike. I checked out a Dyna Wide-Glide as I liked its looks and it looked as if it would be comfortable. Boy was I wrong. To my muscle memory it was just awful. The CBR RR may be my last bike

I'm Considering an M109 for a Cruiser as a change from my KLR. I rode crotch rockets till I made a dresser out of an old Super Bike. Now I ride a KLR 650. I'm definitely getting too old for the trouble it gets me in.

Slyk Willy

Single-Sixer
I agree with the original post. Those are facts of MC riding life as I know it. For myself, my bike gets taller every year so the higher my boot is the better (no platform shoes though).

Attachments

• MeValk maine.jpg
    MeValk maine.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 19
Enter a turn 60 mph too fast and you may find that you can lean way more than you ever knew possible. The adrenaline rush that comes from stepping too far over the line, but somehow getting safely back is the best feeling in the world.

When I was an MSF Instructor I used to tell the students that the perceived lean angle and the real lean angle are two separate things. Most riders who lean only a few degrees are convinced that they are almost at the knee scrapping level. Sadly, the fear of leaning too far seems to be stronger than the fear of running off the road, so some end up in the ditch or worse when possibly just pushing that handgrip to achieve greater lean would have gotten them out of a bad situation.

Latest posts