SOLD for sale in Co. 1500lbs WW's

Help Support Ruger Forum:

kooz

Blackhawk
Selling 1500 lbs of WW's , mostly clip-on style, all were collected about 20years ago . $1/lb , Looking to sell locally . I am in Glenwood Springs , Co. 81601

Attachments

• WWs.jpg
    WWs.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 146

bobski

Hunter
usps flat rate? it needs to be double boxed. how do i know? my box split in enroute in some remote post office and never arrived to destination. they tracked it and i called them about it and they said they were trying to figure out how to gather it all up and mail it on to destination. it was a nightmare.

and.... when you pack your exact 70lbs of lead, any free space in the box must be stuffed with paper to keep it from shifting. the weight of the boxes and paper will put it over.
if you are over, (any weight at all) the usps scale will just say...overweight. it wont tell you HOW MUCH. so...you go home and guess by taking some out, retape it and rebox it...and go back to usps to weigh it again and hope you took enough out.
problem is...if its less than the amount the buyer paid for, you end up shorting him just to pass the usps scale. and whatever scale you have no matter how precise......the usps scale wins.
been there...done that.

good luck.

Last edited:

Cal30 1906

Single-Sixer
Exactly what neither of us wants to happen.
Ive received lead from roto metals and the box was approximately 66# and it arrived intact but like you said it had paper wadded up to eliminate movement and it was taped all around completely.
It would suck to only receive a partial box.

I shipped several hundred pounds of ingots of ww last year in large flat rate boxes. Done I used a layer of 1/8" plywood to first line the box and some I packed smaller boxes then packed a number of the smaller boxes I bugs LFR box. Lots of strapping tape and all survived. The girls at my local post office almost did not thought!🤣 When they saw me coming through the door with 4 boxes of ingots on the hand truck they all ran for lunch!

32shooter

Blackhawk
I once shipped a bunch of lead to someone here on the Forum years ago in exchange for cast bullets, they ask me what was in the boxes . I replied, lead of course. :D

BarryinIN

Bearcat
As they said, filling any air spaces and using lots of strapping tape makes all the difference. I've bought several boxes that way. Only a few have had any damage, and if any weights were lost I couldn't tell. Usually the weights were in some sort of bags inside the box, so when the box corner gave out, they were contained.

If you can't sell locally, I'd be interested in some. But I think if you can find the right person or two, you can move them locally. Finding that person or two, that is always the hard part of such things.

XP100

Blackhawk
I shipped several boxes of 68# of WW's melted into ingots in Priority boxes. One buyer bought 3 boxes. One arrived mangled and torn open with one ingot about 3#'s. the rest were gone. I tried to file an Ins. claim with USPS. It was double boxed. They said I had to have th eoriginal packaging si I paid the buyer to ship the mangled box back to me. Took it to the PO and waited and waited. USPS said claim way denied. I went to local Police to claim a theft if 65#'s of lead ingots. The box was in USPS possession when this happened and the police would do nothing. I refunded the purchase price and the return shipping of the box for Ins. claim and got nothing. I was out 140.00+ Lead ingots, return shipping and ebay fees they said no refund on fees because package was delivered.

1gunsnotenough

Buckeye
I may try shipping in a large flat rate if I cant move all of them locally . The only reason I have shied away from it is I cant imagine that the USPS box would survive well when full of lead .
I was shipping 60lbs AR500 steel plates a few years ago in flat rate boxes. They all made it to destination . But when I came into the post office there was a mad scramble of them leaving the counter. Last one there had to take the boxes.

Hankus

Blackhawk
I may try shipping in a large flat rate if I cant move all of them locally . The only reason I have shied away from it is I cant imagine that the USPS box would survive well when full of lead .
Kooz , put me on your list for when you get home this Spring. Are you wintering here in FL, by chance?

kooz

Blackhawk
I shipped several boxes of 68# of WW's melted into ingots in Priority boxes. One buyer bought 3 boxes. One arrived mangled and torn open with one ingot about 3#'s. the rest were gone. I tried to file an Ins. claim with USPS. It was double boxed. They said I had to have th eoriginal packaging si I paid the buyer to ship the mangled box back to me. Took it to the PO and waited and waited. USPS said claim way denied. I went to local Police to claim a theft if 65#'s of lead ingots. The box was in USPS possession when this happened and the police would do nothing. I refunded the purchase price and the return shipping of the box for Ins. claim and got nothing. I was out 140.00+ Lead ingots, return shipping and ebay fees they said no refund on fees because package was delivered.
I have had this very thing happen with cast bullets that I sold to someone . USPS insurance really doesn't work for a lot of things there are to many hoops to jump thru . So I would sell WW's on-line only with the agreement that the loss is on the buyer as the risk just isnt worth it at $1 a pound .

Latest posts