For Fans of the Double Gun

Help Support Ruger Forum:

A thread at year-end asked about favorite guns of 2012. I had a couple, but this one is at the top of my list - an A.H. Fox - Sterlingworth (Phila) 20 ga made in 1926. It is one of those guns that is just "right" to the eye and in the handling.

IMG_6542-1.jpg

IMG_6543-1.jpg

IMG_6545-1.jpg

IMG_6549-1.jpg

IMG_6550-1.jpg

IMG_6546-1.jpg

I am itching to take it out and bust some clays or quail with it...

The Sterlingworth grade is pretty affordable - higher grades of the A.H. Fox doubles get up into the multiples of ten thousands. Specific to the Fox Sterlingworth, the 12ga. is pretty common but, like most guns of that vintage have been used pretty hard and altered in various ways - depending on condition the more common 12s in shooter condition can be had for under a grand. The 20s even in shooter condition are not seen very often and the 20s in collector condition are very infrequently seen - so prices reflect that.

Side-by-sides are classic. They are a true bird gun. Too bad I can't hit the broad side of a barn with one. I had a 16 ga for a few years and after a lot of frustration I went back to my 20 ga O/U. I guess being cross-dominant and having spent too many years with single-barrel sight plane I just couldn't adapt. :(

ruggedruger

Single-Sixer
I'm cleaning up an old 311. My gun PALES in comparison to this beauty. I LOVE the stock and it's rich color. Is it somewhat reddish? Heck, that double is actually sexy.

Joe S.

Hunter
:shock:

cellar701 said:
The Sterlingworth grade is pretty affordable - higher grades of the A.H. Fox doubles get up into the multiples of ten thousands. Specific to the Fox Sterlingworth, the 12ga. is pretty common but, like most guns of that vintage have been used pretty hard and altered in various ways - depending on condition the more common 12s in shooter condition can be had for under a grand. The 20s even in shooter condition are not seen very often and the 20s in collector condition are very infrequently seen - so prices reflect that.

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
22lrfan said:
That's a beautiful gun. I love the old SxS's especially the hammer guns.

Hi,

I was watching a video from a British "driven bird" shoot recently, and one of the "old timers" of the group was shooting a hammered SxS, and quite well at that. They didn't show the gun closely to know how old it was, but I understand some of the makers over there "line" the old Damascus barrels w/ modern day steel inserts, and proof 'em to modern loads so some of the guns in the field may well be a century old or more! I think Briley does that here, but it seems you lose a gauge or two (12 ga becomes a 20?) the way they do it. Depending on how heavy the original barrel is, I understand the Brits can often "save" the gauge, so your 12 stays a 12.

Takes a heavy purse to have that done, though... quite a few thousand dollars I read somewhere. Something to add to the "when I win the lottery" list. I suppose it's not such a big deal to a guy who's shooting a £100,000 matched pair of guns! ;)

Rick C