Florida permits

Help Support Ruger Forum:

If another state recognizes your (Florida) permit but does not have constitutional carry then you would need the permit to carry in that state....

Just like with Gator69... here in S.C. there is no background check when purchasing a firearm from an FFL if you have a permit... . that is the only reason I can buy or get a firearm transferred here.... for a long convoluted reason I can not pass the call in background check... but the odd thing is every time I renew my permit here... which includes a 'full' background check... I get a new permit....

3manfan

Single-Sixer
With Florida passing permitless carry will they still issue an actual permit? Is My Florida permit still valid in states that accepted them and can I get it renewed when time so I'll have one to show if needed?
It'll remain valid & don't forget that if you go permitless, you're subject to the FL waiting periods again. Maintaining it forever is the most prudent route as it offers additional benefits such as the aforementioned reciprocity in other States that other posters noted.

Hearing much of what I expected, mine still valid for 4 years or so and it just enabled me this past week to pickup my new Ruger PCC same day. Waiting doesn't bother me when I had to for 3 days before I got the permit, the pain was having to drive back again if I found something at a dealer not close to me.
I'll renew when the time comes for the waived waiting period and other benefits.
Honestly I'm not sure how I feel about the new FL concealed carry changes, maybe because of untrained new comers, idk. No difference I guess for the 'bad elements' who never cared in the first place but I guess there could be something I'm not considering here.

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
It'll remain valid & don't forget that if you go permitless, you're subject to the FL waiting periods again. Maintaining it forever is the most prudent route as it offers additional benefits such as the aforementioned reciprocity in other States that other posters noted.
There's also a rather steep learning curve for permitless/constitutional carry, both within the State, and if you're stopped in another State for say a traffic violation. That learning curve generally applies to law enforcement, and to non-gun owners especially in retail businesses. You can expect to see a lot of shiny new "no guns allowed" signs on store fronts for a year or so. Some anti-gun judges, mayors, etc. will resist this, and will have to be re-educated by the State Supreme Court or the Governors office. Been down this road in MS several years ago.

dannyd

Hunter
If you live Florida and have a permit the prudent thing to do is get it renewed because you never know when the Florida Government may swing back the other way. Check the state history for the last 50 years. :)

Plus if you have evacuate for a Hurricane may come in handy.

Paul B

Hunter
If another state recognizes your (Florida) permit but does not have constitutional carry then you would need the permit to carry in that state....

I would think so if, for no other reason reciprocity privileges.

Just like with Gator69... here in S.C. there is no background check when purchasing a firearm from an FFL if you have a permit... . that is the only reason I can buy or get a firearm transferred here.... for a long convoluted reason I can not pass the call in background check... but the odd thing is every time I renew my permit here... which includes a 'full' background check... I get a new permit....

It's the same thing here in Arizona. When I renewed my permit this last time, they asked why I bothered now that we're constiutional. I told them I traveled to several that that are constitutional but that applies only to residents of that particular state. I got the permit.

On using the permit to bypass the FBI check, it depends on the business selling guns. It seems most of our gun shops here in town accept the CCW but at least one does not. it's the Feeble Minded Idiots or nothing with them. That my friends is your friendly neighborhood Walmart.

Blume. Who does the background check in your state? Here in AZ it's the State police not the FBI who do the background checks. That was the excuse I got for Walmart BTW. The feds didn't do my che ck so no sale. I complained to the manager and he said it was company policy. I got what I wanted elsewhere and at a better price. Surprise. Showed the manger the sales slip and told im Tango Sierra.
Paul B.

to tell the story.... when I applied for my CWP here is S.C. my instructor was adamant that you put any criminal convictions on the application .... in fact he made everyone also put that they had numerous traffic violations over the years... the reason is if your application was denied for any reason you could appeal but the one reason you can't is if you technically lied on the application... so I wrote in my criminal conviction..... and got the permit... this was back on 2005.

Full disclosure:

in 1978 I was convicted of "manufacturing marijuana " what that means is I got caught growing a pot plant while in college. I'm not sure about back in '78 but that is considered a misdemeanor here in S.C. and has been that way for a long time..... it could and probably was a felony back in '78.

Since that transgression, for the last what is is now 45 years the only thing I've been guilty of is speeding.... but back in 2011 I applied for a NFA tax on a suppressor and the FBI denied me twice... no explanation... just 'nope'... also 2 years ago when I applied for a Maine permit their background check system did the same thing.... detective in charge of this said the FBI denied me. I had to write him a letter and also send copies of my conviction and what it is now considered in S.C. And I got the permit. But I guess with the FBI once you are a evil "Drug Lord" you are always a serious danger to society. I could get this taken off my 'record' now but don't really have the time or energy... One funny part; I wrote in the letter to the Maine detective explaining the situation...
"You have to understand I was a young man in college being stupid, but I apologize for being redundant. "

I have been tempted over the years to write to the president requesting a pardon.... or maybe just the Governor....

Oh, and rule #38 in life: Don't grow pot in your rented trailer that is owned by the local head of the John Burch society.

BearBiologist

Buckeye
I have a resident WA permit and a non-resident UT permit. I go Thurs for pics and prints for my OR non-resident permit (still need background check). Wish me luck!

Bud0505

Single-Sixer
Current Florida CCW permit requires proof of training before permit is issued. Reciprocity, as I understand, it is usually granted by a state based upon the fact that Florida's permit requirements mirror their own. It will be interesting to see if Florida's CCW permit will require training for new applicants in the future.

gnappi

Single-Sixer
With Florida passing permitless carry will they still issue an actual permit? Is My Florida permit still valid in states that accepted them and can I get it renewed when time so I'll have one to show if needed?
I just got a renewal in the mail so I guess they will issue a card.

Latest posts