Flat vs Arched mainspring housing

Help Support Ruger Forum:

edlmann

Blackhawk
Snake45 said:
I don't know if Pachmayr still makes their rubber-covered 1911 MSHs, but for a while they had them in flat, arched, and "semi-arched" which was right between the two.

Dunno when they quit, but I really liked the Pachmayr flat MSH. Haven't seen one in maybe 20 years or more.

mc1911

Bearcat
To me arched fits better, flat looks cooler. My lightweight cmd mainspring housing is sharp.

mc1911

Bearcat
I like the feel of the arched one but the flat one has a very "cool" look to it.

reloader

Single-Sixer
Medium hands, both work for me. I like the looks of the flat better, but am no arch enemy.

rattlegun

Bearcat
The grip is one part I don't think JMB really put much in to compared to the rest of the gun. The front and back are straight and so are the sides for the most part. The grip angle was determined by cartridge feed angle from magazine.

victor6

Bearcat
Arched all the way!!!

Accompanied by a long trigger.

Those two make the 1911 perfect for me.

Victor

1911Tuner

Single-Sixer
rattlegun said:
The grip is one part I don't think JMB really put much in to compared to the rest of the gun. The front and back are straight and so are the sides for the most part. The grip angle was determined by cartridge feed angle from magazine.

The grip angle was determined by the request of the US Army Ordnance Board in order to improve the pointing characteristics of the pistol over its predecessors. The magazine had nothing to do with it.

Pictured below is the Colt Model 1907, which had a better grip angle than the 1900 that was nearly 90 degrees and was duplicated in the 1909. The Model 1910's grip angle was decreased slightly and reappeared on the 1911.

Z1907_72a.jpg

Compared with the Model 1910, the difference in the grip angle is apparent.

1910.gif

The Model 1900 completes the evolution from "straight handle to angled handle" in the quest for a more user-friendly cavalry pistol.

Colt%201900_zps2mhlqq5x.jpg

1911Tuner

Single-Sixer
Expanding a little...

The Models 1900, 1902, 1905, and 1907 were all twin linked with non-tilting barrels and rear slide dismount, leaving the barrel with the frame. The 1909 was a complete redesign and the first with the single link/tilting barrel and front slide dismount with the barrel coming off the frame with the slide. It was also the first one with the familiar straight-line trigger that was removed from the rear through the grip safety port.