Flat Gate with a 6 digit serial number

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Screenshot_20230217-075156~2.png
Screenshot_20230221-095253-854.png
Screenshot_20230221-095359~2.png
Waiting for this at my FFL dealer. Just won on GunBroker. It's excellent condition, just was wondering when it was manufactured. I haven't been able to find that serial number series in my searches on line or Ruger and his guns.
Thanks for any input, Tom

G2

Hunter
… and your gun is not a flatgate, nor does it have a flatgate.

Welcome to the forum, stick around a while and learn, it's really a great place to get your feet wet, and if you stick around long enough, you will start to collect safes,,,, full of Ruger's. There are a bunch of enablers here.

😁
Nice gun at a fair price, you did ok, and IMO way better than a new one. It has just the right amount of patina and the grooved Old Model Cylinder is why one wants an Old Model gun. Nice feature from days gone by. Nice Walnut Grips w/ blue escutcheons & Screw w/ pristine Medallions too.👍

FWIW; The ad it states; 1966 mfg, and makes no claim of being a flatgate.

Last edited:

hittman

Staff member
Your first picture posted shows ( to me ) as a round loading gate. If it were flat, none of that "hump" would be there. The entire gate would be the thickness of the part that affixes to the gun. The entire gate would be flat if you took it off the gun and laid it on a table.

contender

Ruger Guru
Welcome to the Forum!

We sympathize with you for thinking you were getting a real Flatgate .22. And as you have learned here,, that gun was never a flatgate model. This Forum will offer polite advice & try HARD to make sure it is the truly correct information.
But it does look like you got a nice gun!

gotta remember over the years all too many folks always referred to Ruger Flat top" this or "flat gate" that and the two often get confused, even the Ruger 22 Single Sixes, the top IS "flat", just a 'sculpting' around the edges........still you're getting a NICE gun, learn all about now, and enjoy it for what it was intended for........... :cool: ;);)

Last edited:

Latest posts