fitting custom grips

Help Support Ruger Forum:

IrvJr

Single-Sixer
Hey All,

I was thinking of getting a set of stag or elk antler grips for some of my Ruger single action revolvers. In order to achieve a close fit, should I send my grip frame to the grip maker?

The factory stocks on my guns are nice, but they are slightly undersized in spots. I'd like to have my custom grips fit more tightly and I'm wondering if it's worthwhile to send the grip frame out. I'd miss my revolver while its frame is out, but if it's necessary for a good fit I would consider doing it.

Thanks in advance.

swindler1

Single-Sixer
While I don't work with stag I do alot of grip making from wood. Send the grip frame. Thats the only way to have a custom fit.
Would you have someone send you a pair of shoes without them knowing how big your feet are :lol: ?

IrvJr

Single-Sixer
Thanks All for your replies. I guess I'll have to disassemble my gun and send off the grips. Hopefully it won't take too long.

caryc

Hawkeye
If you're paying for custom grips, the only way to get the most for your money is to send the frame to the grip maker. You may not like being without your frame for a while but when you do get it back with properly fitting grips you'll sure be glad you sent it.

I don't charge anything for fitting to a customers frame and I'm sure the other grip makers that frequent this forum don't either. After all, if you order grips from me, I'm going to fit them to a Ruger grip frame that I have here or your grip frame and I'd much rather it be yours.

flatgate

Hawkeye
Yeah![\b] It didn't take me but a few minutes time to turn a pair of nice American Holly grips into kindling and I did it all by myself with zero help!

I can work with steel but don't let me get even somewhat close to some nice wood.......

flatgate

Steve Myers

Single-Sixer
If I were doing stag, I would definitely send the frame. Ruger frames are not exact. I ordered a wood set, and didn't worry too much about it. I put them on one frame and had a bit of proud wood. Put them on the other frame and they fit much better. Going to get a second set, and I can sand them down a tad.

But stag is much more expensive, and from my understanding, much more prone to breakage. No way I would attempt to fit them myself.

caryc

Hawkeye
Steve Myers said:
But stag is much more expensive, and from my understanding, much more prone to breakage. No way I would attempt to fit them myself.

I can't imagine how one would break a set of grips while trying to fit them unless you were trying to fit them with a hammer. You can't break a grip with sandpaper.

I don't care if your working with stag, wood, bone or steel, you never try to force a grip onto a gun. You work the grip until it fits the gun.

Steve Myers

Single-Sixer
caryc said:
Steve Myers said:

I can't imagine how one would break a set of grips while trying to fit them unless you were trying to fit them with a hammer. You can't break a grip with sandpaper.

I don't care if your working with stag, wood, bone or steel, you never try to force a grip onto a gun. You work the grip until it fits the gun.

OK Cary - no argument there! And as you can tell, I have exactly zero experience with stag!

caryc

Hawkeye
Stag sands just like wood. Although you may find some softer spots that sand "faster" so you have to be careful not to over do it. I have worked stag and found it no more difficult or even much different than working wood.

CraigC

Hawkeye
Stag is relatively easy to work with. I managed to get a very good fit with a set of oversized Ajax stags on my Colt New Frontier. No risk of breakage whatsoever but you can screw around and take too much off.

Definitely send your grip frame to the gripmaker for proper fitting!

PS, stag and elk antler ain't the same thing.

caryc

Hawkeye
CraigC said:
PS, stag and elk antler ain't the same thing.

Of course they're not but most people don't differentiate when speaking of stag grips. Sambar or Red stag is much more dense than American elk antler. It has been used for hundreds of years. It's also nearly impossible to get in raw form.

While American elk is not nearly as dense, it still makes a pretty set of grips and in my opinion is well worth the price charged for elk grips.

Latest posts