First Range trip with SR1911 lwt CMDR 9mm

Help Support Ruger Forum:

jollyman

Bearcat
Great day here in TN today and so I went to the range for the first time with my new Ruger 1911 9mm lwt comdr. I took:
50 rds 115gr Remington
50 rds 124gr Winchester NATO
25 rds 135gr+p Hornady C.Defense
20 rds 85gr DRT Extreme
20 rds 150gr Federal Micro HST
30 rds 124gr Federal HST

2 10rd Wilson mags and two 9rd Ruger mags

First off, I shot the gun at 15 feet to sort the sight picture out. I don't like three dot white sights, so. Also, I am pretty sure my dominant eye is changing so I am having to deal with that. As expected. 40 rds of 115 at short distance pretty much ate the center out. The first time I shot it the gun I didn't know what to expect as I have heard everything between too light recoil, no cycle etc, but everything performed well.

I moved the target backing to 21 feet and shoot 50 rounds of the NATO and still was getting on the target well, and no problems with this ammo either. I did have a full mag fall out during one of the course of firings as the mag wasn't seated. I installed an EGW mag release and have to remember to insure proper seating.

Then I loaded up some self defense ammo. The 150 Micro Federal would NOT cycle this pistol. In a ten round mag I had 9 failures to cycle. This 150 stuff has not worked in two other of my 9's. Bye Bye

Everything else fired great! I then moved the target backing to 30 feet and shot the remaining 115 and tried the various self defense rounds for accuracy.

The gun shoots beautiful. Very little felt recoil, even with the +P's I shot. All HP ammo fed smooth and it seems as though I have a very nice carry pistol. I will be getting a change in sight. I blackened the rear sights and that helped some, but interested in getting front Night and plain rear. Did struggle with dominant eye. Next outing will work on this.

Sorry rambled on so long. This is a really nice gun. :mrgreen:

Danno

Bearcat
Jolleyman...I've had mine for maybe 8 months now and it has been 100% with whatever I've fed it. My first 1911 and now I understand about the trigger. Shoots beautifully and looks great. I did replace the rubber panels with the Ruger eagle grips which only add to it's already good looks. Glad you're liking yours. I think it's a wonderful, fun and accurate pistol.

Terry T

Buckeye
Finally got mine out today too - weather turned nice.
Informally shooting at about 8 paces, slow fire, two hands and getting a decent 3" group of 3 mags full, slightly to the left of center. Not too bad for a nearly 71 year old. :shock: I think it's me and not the gun. :oops: Runs just fine.
I'm pleased so far. :D
I did have some trouble chambering with 9 rds in the mag. I'll need to figure it out. Might not have loaded the last round correctly. Works just fine with 8 rds.
Terry T

dpayne

Bearcat
You guys are killing me. I want one of those but am trying to justify the purchase since I already have the 45 1911. Mine is not lightweight though. Hmm...

Latest posts