First batch of ammo on progressive, Dillon RL550B

Help Support Ruger Forum:

sasu

Single-Sixer
Yes, a sound warning. There is a chance to forget to turn the plate. Fortunately all my loads have so much powder that a double charge would overflow or be very close to it, impossible to miss visually. But the fear is their in the back of my mind, a healthy fear.

sasu

Single-Sixer
Made 100 44 Magnums. Now I see why some people lube pistol cases even for a carbide sizing die - 44 Magnums take some force to resize.

There seems to be no burning necessity for a powder check die as it is very easy to program yourself to look into each case before adding a bullet.

Why did I wait so many years to go progressive... Now I seem to load more ammo than I have time to shoot, very nice. Either I will end up shooting more or start collecting spare ammo.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
sasu said:
Shot the 50 rounds of 357 Magnum today that I made on the RL550B.

The bullets are Alsa Pro 158 gr FMJ but are meant for some pistol caliber as the diameter is 0.355"-0.356". There is no crimp groove. There were several instances of bullet jump blocking the cylinder from rotating and it was easy to press the bullet back with a finger tip. These bullets have to be crimped over the shoulder I guess.
I would not crimp over the shoulder unless I was sure that the bullet wouldn't get pushed into the case even more sometime. That could be dangerous. I think you should put more roll crimp into them where the bullet should be, even though there is no crimp groove. That should hold them in place.

sasu

Single-Sixer
I decided to save remaining 158 gr 0.355" bullets for the day when I get a silenced 9 mm pistol. Those bullets will make nice subsonic loads.

sasu

Single-Sixer
My wallet is not happy now. I just placed an order for the Hornady L-n-L AP progressive press with full quick change parts for four calibers: 357 Mag, 44 Mag, 45 ACP, 45 Colt. It will be interesting to compare its performance against the Dillon RL550B.

Later this year I may invest in a Dillon XL650 to see how that one works. Then I run out of workbench space.

Part of the idea of having several progressive presses is to have a chance to dedicate one of them for the most often used caliber, 45 ACP in my case currently. Just add primer, powders, sit down and crank out ammo. This year I will be active in IPSC, Cowboy Action and IHMSA, IDPA and will be needing lots of ammo for practice.

I have seen photos of extremely nice multi-press loading rooms and now it seems I am on my way to something similar. Curiosity makes you poorer... financially.

EDIT: I had plans to order a Lee Load Master progressive, too. My desire was tempered by two factors:
- that press primes on the ram upstroke when all the cases enter the dies so there is probably no feel at all,
- even though there are five die stations, only four of them are useable so it is a four station press in practice.
Otherwise the Lee press looks cost efficient and you can make it work smoother by some filing, polishing and tuning. Just the ticket for a tinkerer.

KLNC

Single-Sixer
AJGUNNER said:
Thinking about adding one of these.

https://inlinefabrication.com/products/skylighttm-led-lighting-kit-for-the-dillon-550

These LED kits make all the difference in checking a charged case. You get in the habit of glancing down each cycle and the charge is apparent. You would notice either an empty case, or in the rare event, a double charged one. Either way, the light kit is a must have, for me at least.