Finally saw a decent buck

Help Support Ruger Forum:

And I didn't waste the opportunity. Actually one of those times when a buck gets bigger after the shot. We hadn't seen this deer before but he showed up from the high ground chasing 3 does across the field I was watching. I got him stopped just before he made it to the tall grass CRP at 230 yards according to the rangefinder and PFFFT. I heard the hit and buck ran into the tall grass and I thought I heard him crash. When I went to pick up the blood trail, there wasn't any. Son showed up with his 'blood tracker' light and still nothing. I'd checked a drainage ditch that he would have to cross and no blood there so we started looking on the line where I last saw him. Sure enough we found the buck dead right where I'd heard the crash. Big bodied 11 point with tall tines and heavy wide beams.
I'm pleased with the outcome but have to say I'm not impressed with the bullet performance. The SigSauer solid copper HP didn't seem to expand at all--it just drilled a hole. Quartering to presentation and the bullet struck just rear of point of shoulder, through right lung, back of left lung, and a bit of paunch exiting behind last rib on left side. Something like 20" of penetration w/o noticeable expansion.
Certainly NOT a deer bullet.

Bullthrower338

Single-Sixer
And I didn't waste the opportunity. Actually one of those times when a buck gets bigger after the shot. We hadn't seen this deer before but he showed up from the high ground chasing 3 does across the field I was watching. I got him stopped just before he made it to the tall grass CRP at 230 yards according to the rangefinder and PFFFT. I heard the hit and buck ran into the tall grass and I thought I heard him crash. When I went to pick up the blood trail, there wasn't any. Son showed up with his 'blood tracker' light and still nothing. I'd checked a drainage ditch that he would have to cross and no blood there so we started looking on the line where I last saw him. Sure enough we found the buck dead right where I'd heard the crash. Big bodied 11 point with tall tines and heavy wide beams.
I'm pleased with the outcome but have to say I'm not impressed with the bullet performance. The SigSauer solid copper HP didn't seem to expand at all--it just drilled a hole. Quartering to presentation and the bullet struck just rear of point of shoulder, through right lung, back of left lung, and a bit of paunch exiting behind last rib on left side. Something like 20" of penetration w/o noticeable expansion.
Congratulations! Picture?

Yeah, that ammo has been moved to the practice only bin. The coyote I shot at similar range yesterday morning didn't leave any blood trail either. I had the scope on 9x and saw that bullet hit.

I made a 220 mile round trip to haul some livestock to a sale barn for Son. Left home at first light and saw two big bucks on the trip. Big as in 150-160 B&C or better. Both were in Iowa and both were in or crossing wide open harvested soybean fields. Probably the reason they were noticed? Sure.

I'm not impressed with the bullet performance. The SigSauer solid copper HP didn't seem to expand at all--it just drilled a hole. Quartering to presentation and the bullet struck just rear of point of shoulder, through right lung, back of left lung, and a bit of paunch exiting behind last rib on left side. Something like 20" of penetration w/o noticeable expansion.
Got any Cape Buffalo in Missouri?
I've heard that comment from somebody local using one on whitetail here in Michigan with a .308 that basically just made a clean
hole.

flyingtiger

Single-Sixer
My son's, yesterday

Attachments

• Resized_20231112_124829.jpeg
    Resized_20231112_124829.jpeg
    250.7 KB · Views: 49
No cape buffalo running wild in MO(that I'm aware of).
Maybe late season when there's snow on the ground so the meager blood trail is easier to follow and we don't want to mess up the meat would be a suitable time. OR just use them for practice and reload the nice nickel plated brass with Hornady bullets?