Finally New Vaquero Talo Birshead

Help Support Ruger Forum:

caryg

Bearcat
I just got my new Ruger 45 acp Talo. It cost more than I wanted but you only live once. Here its compared to my Kahr CW 45.

MCPO

Bearcat
Looks Good! Picked mine up about 3 weeks ago. Was holding out for a SS one. but only found them in 45 Colt.

Mine has just under 1500 rds, over 1200 of them Reloads (mostly 200gr SWC) and she is a sweeet shooter. Enjoy yours - luv mine. Would really like to have the 3.75" Bbl with both cylinders :)

Joe S.

Hunter
caryg,
i paid $200 more than what they were being sold on here for mine because i wanted it and found it in one of the higher priced stores around. i am happy to have it, but i am def not gonna break even on this one if my car died and i had to sell it quick...

Yermo

Single-Sixer
Not to rain on your parade, but do your Birdsheads shoot well? I had mine in .45 Colt, and it was a nightmare to develop a load for it that wouldn't shoot 3" low. I almost gave up one night and took the file to the front sight. Then I settled for a .45 ACP - like ultralight load, barely pushing a 250 gr bullet to 750 f/sec and that elevated the POI somewhat, but still it was about 1' lower than my POA.
Oh, and there was a trip to Ruger that fixed the windage - the barrel wasn't screwed on properly - but did nothing for the elevation problem.
What do you in cases like this? A traditional six o'clock hold is impossible, so the shooter ends up pretty much covering the bullseye with the front sight and shooting blindfolded. Yes, I could still keep my groups under 2" at 10 yards out, but I felt I had no chance of bettering that.
Anyway, my Birdshead went away, and I miss it sometimes because of its beautiful lines and great history.

MCPO

Bearcat
Yermo said:
Not to rain on your parade, but do your Birdsheads shoot well?

Mine is a 45ACP and I shoot a 200gr SWC with 4.2gr WST. Chrony shows an average 760 fps and mine shoots to POA with front sight at 6 o'clock on target - when I do my part - a 3.3/4" Bbl is a challange at 10 yds - to me at least.

I easily shoot 100 to 150 rds a range trip and it's very comfortable shooter.

Ruger45_SM_zps21db5e1c.png

This is 12 rds at 10 yds, standing, 2 hand hold.

photo_zpsf699d509.jpg

Terry T

Buckeye
I managed to get one of the stainless New Vaquero 45 ACPs when they first came out. :D Just a handy 'retro' pack'n piece. Shoots just fine for me.
I have some cheap used 1911 mags to use as 'speed' loaders - just thumb the rounds into the loading gate. Easy way to carry a couple of sets of reloads in a double mag. pouch. :D

I liked the "original" Vaquero BH grips better - just a little bit thicker. The nice wood grips are stashed with the box.

Terry T

Joe S.

Hunter
I swapped grips and put a Blackhawk hammer on mine. I prefer the taller hammer on Vaqueros.

8CDCDF51-08B6-4D8B-9064-21A0BE472F63-1159-000001AA4ADBA438_zps126dfbaa.jpg

JmE

Single-Sixer
Very nice, caryg! Mine is in .45ACP too but stainless. It's my EDC most of the time and I love it. The photo comparison with a Kahr was a neat idea... not sure I've seen that particular combination before.

dvincentp2

Bearcat
I bought some Hornady Critical Duty 45+P ammo today. Has anyone tried to shoot these through the New Vaquero Talo BH yet?

Jared02

Bearcat
those are absolutely beautiful. I want one now...... :shock:

Are they still produced, or is it a gunbroker find now?

HeavyDuty

Bearcat
I have a stainless ACP and love it. I've been tinkering with it (reamed cylinder throats, Eagle Gunfighters, Belt Mountain base pin, crescent ejector rod) and am now considering replacing the front sight blade - my aging eyes are having a hard time with that skinny little blade, and even painting it black hasn't helped. But that's just me messing with a perfectly good gun, it didn't really need any of these changes except maybe the reaming.

BearHawk 357

Single-Sixer
OP, what a nice little piece you've got there. Ever get the feeling that a gun is destined to be a favorite the instance you lay eyes/hands on it? This seems like one of those guns. Great buy!