Finally got my suppressor home!

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Tom in Ohio

Bearcat
After an 8 month wait, I was finally able to bring home my CGS Hydra SS .22 suppressor. I mounted on my MkIV, and fired a few CCI rounds through it (advertised as 970fps). It worked perfectly and was as quiet as a cheap pellet gun. I'm going to have a lot of fun with this!

0DDF041A-8B4C-45E1-982B-8394D481C8A5.jpeg
022047D4-323F-43AB-8786-22045AE293B0.jpeg
0DDF041A-8B4C-45E1-982B-8394D481C8A5.jpeg
022047D4-323F-43AB-8786-22045AE293B0.jpeg

Here's what I've found: My muffled 4" 22/45 likes CCI sub-sonic HP which will actually expand a bit on varmints. Another good choice is Aguila sub-sonic (either solid or HP) which is favored by the muffled RAR (the striker falling is louder than the cartridge firing). RWS is accurate but the greased bullets are a bit messy and may crud up your can.
If this is simply a 'fun gun' any sub-sonic (and most standard velocity) will do fine. If it's more of a 'tool' (as mine are) terminal performance is as important as accuracy and the CCI provides both. We've shot the CCI ammo @ 100 yards hitting the 8" gong consistently(sandbagged from the bench)

Tom in Ohio

Bearcat
Thanks. I'm planning on trying out a lot of different ammo in it. I got it primarily for pest control. I border on a large wooded park system, so I get a lot of critters that like to eat my wife's flowers, get in my trash, dig up my yard, etc. I don't need long range accuracy really, but terminal performance is a plus.

I shot it out of an open window this morning, and the empty cases bouncing off my wall made the most noise.

Tom in Ohio

Bearcat
So far, it cycles CCI subsonic 40gr 1050fps hollow point 100%, CCI subsonic 45gr 970fps HP 60%, and CCI Quiet (both 45gr 835fps and 40gr 710fps) about 10%.

Plus 1 on the CCI Quiet. It simply doesn't cycle my guns. On top of that, nothing is gained when using the muffler.
I've not tried any of the heavier (45 gr) subsonic ammo since the run of the mill 40 grain subs are working well for me. The 40 grain subs may be a bit louder from the handguns but certainly not beyond ear safe and provide a bit flatter trajectory at extended ranges.
Maybe I should try some of those 45 grainers in the 10-22 to see if they might function? I have to keep it 'running wet' to get 100% cycling with 40 grain subs. Have new KIDD reduced power springs that may also help.

Ethang

Blackhawk
Suppressors should be over the counter items. It is sad it's takes so much paperwork and needless waiting to purchase them.

Tom you are going to have so much fun with that thing. It is a blast shooting 22's suppressed.

Chief 101

Hunter
I have been wondering for some time now what a suppressor's advantage is over a gun without a suppressor? Maybe this should be it's own thread, I dunno.

Eight months is fairly quick considering the recent 'pistol brace/SBR' confusion. My longest 'wait time' was close to 13 months. This wasn't due to running down info on a 'bad dude' to see if he was an outlaw. It was just part of the aggravation emplaced by ATF to discourage honest citizens from buying NFA items.

krw

Blackhawk
I have shot 1k's CCI Standard velocity through Ruger MKII and hav never had one go super. I also ise them in a 16" CZ452 and Tippmann AR22. Never an issue. All Aguila I hav shot were dirty and stink when you shoot em. I have abused a SiCo Spectre II and hav never had an issue. If only I cood hav a FA 22🙄🙄🙄

Brules

Single-Sixer
Mine took exactly 6 months to get. I applied in April. I got the Silencerco Sparrow. Super quiet.

noahmercy

Blackhawk
Here's what I've found: My muffled 4" 22/45 likes CCI sub-sonic HP which will actually expand a bit on varmints. Another good choice is Aguila sub-sonic (either solid or HP) which is favored by the muffled RAR (the striker falling is louder than the cartridge firing). RWS is accurate but the greased bullets are a bit messy and may crud up your can.
If this is simply a 'fun gun' any sub-sonic (and most standard velocity) will do fine. If it's more of a 'tool' (as mine are) terminal performance is as important as accuracy and the CCI provides both. We've shot the CCI ammo @ 100 yards hitting the 8" gong consistently(sandbagged from the bench)
I use the Aguila subsonic HPs for vermin control, although I don't have a "muffler". But from my 25+ inch CZ barrel, they are amazingly quiet (neighbors nearby with livestock & I don't want to bother either...these make about the same noise as my Crosman air rifle) and they slap down skunks, rockchucks, and feral cats better than most HV stuff. Accurate, too.