Finally got a SR1911. A few Questions?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

SGreve32x

Single-Sixer
I finally got my hands on my very own SR1911. I bought it from a buddy of mine for 600 bucks. He has only put 120 through it. The only complaint he had on it was the mags cause he didn't think they were very good. My question is has anyone else had that problem with the factory SR1911 mags? And what aftermarket mags would be the best choice for the SR1911? Thanks guys.

Richbaker

Blackhawk
Factory mags are made by CheckMate, they supply mags to Colt's and other 1911 Mfgrs..... I have a few, for my non-Ruger 1911s and they are perfectly reliable. Read Tuner's threads about feeding the 1911, you'll learn a few things.

Feeding the 1911

guidedfishing

Single-Sixer
Never had an issue with the factory mags, I've used the following mags in my SR1911 without issue.
Chip McCormicks
Kimbers
Springfield factory
GI issue
None of these mags caused a problem, Just what was the issue.

good luck
shoot straight and shoot often

K-MO

Bearcat
I have found the Ruger 1911 mags (Check Mate mags) to be excellent. My Sig 1911 is extremely finicky about magazines, and only the Check Mate follower will make the slide lock back after the final round is fired. Those Ruger mags are darn good...don't replace them... ;)

SGreve32x

Single-Sixer
He said that he had a few feeding issues with them. He had other mags that he said worked better. I will just have to put some ammo through it and see what happens with it.

scottl

Bearcat
Sometime people have a "problem" with factory mags because they don't have a name(Wilson) on them.

Read a post on another forum one time about a guy bad mouthing Springfield mags.Called them junk,useless,etc.Then he went on to say he only used Metalform mags in his 1911's.Metalform makes SA's mags.

revhigh

Hawkeye
cfolsom said:
My factory mags have been flawless. I also have 5 colt stainless 8 round mags that have been just as reliable.

Exactly ... If you're spending $30+ on 1911 mags ... You're throwing your money away.

REV

dakota1911

Buckeye
I have used a bunch of different mags, including the supplied ones and they work O.K. The only thing I would say is peel the warning label off the mag and put it on the lid of the box the gun came in.

Rodfac

Blackhawk
Plus one on Rev's comments. I've had zero problems with the Ruger supplied mags. That said, I've also had no problems with rusted government issue 1911 mags, or Wilson mags. If the feed lips are not damaged, they've all worked as advertised in both my SR1911 and my SR1911 CMD. I've shot JHP's by Hornady and Remington, plus a boat load of my own 200 gr LSWC's with virtually zero malfunctions...(did have several with over-long reloads with that 200 gr LSWC...) I've sorted that problem out, and in fairness, the same batch did not feed 100% through my Gold Cup, nor my Remington Rand of WWll vintage.

HTH's Rod.

Brian48

Bearcat
What type of problems did your friend have?

I'm usually a fan of Checkmates, but I've noticed the ones that came with my CMD have feed lips slightly wider than all the other Checkmates I have. When comparing them along each other side by side, the top cartridge sits higher with the Ruger mags than with the others and has a tendency to slip ahead of the extractor claw during the cycling process. This in turns causes a failure to chamber every now and then. The problem literally disappears when I switch over to any Checkmate mag (Colt and Wilson service grades) as well as any non-hybrid, feed lip mags like CMCs, Act, and GI OEM.

Been thinking about sending both back to the factory as I suspect these might be from a batch that was slightly out of spec, but I haven't bothered because I have so many other 1911 mags.

dlidster

Single-Sixer
Brian48 said:
Been thinking about sending both back to the factory as I suspect these might be from a batch that was slightly out of spec, but I haven't bothered because I have so many other 1911 mags.
Don't bother. They're within the design spec. The early release will also cause double-feeds.