Field Shoulder Holster For LCRx 3"

Help Support Ruger Forum:

1srelluc

Bearcat
I thought this might be of some interest to LCRx 3" owners that, like myself bought the revolver for a lightweight field/woods gun and found that commercial holster selection for that task so far leaves a lot to be desired.

I "made" me a shoulder holster for the LCRx using a repro Victory Model revolver holster I found at a yard sale.

I had to cut away some stitching to get the LCRx in and relieve the inside where the adjustable rear sight rests.

I immersed it in rubbing alcohol till the rather thick/stiff leather was soft and pliable, wrapped the LCRx in plastic wrap, and put it in the holster and molded the leather around it then left it over night to dry.

This morning I removed the revolver and did a hot wax treatment on the leather with Sno-Seal and a heat gun, inserted the LCRx back in and let it cool around it. Perfect fit!

I got shed of the thick/stiff leather shoulder strap that was on it and replaced it with a SKS sling I altered for the purpose as it's both lighter, wider, and more comfortable than the one that was on it.

I had a elastic cartridge carrier so I just slipped it over the strap.

DSCN7078_2.jpg

Mus408

Hunter
Now that is a great idea! Given the light weight of that revolver I guess you could use one of those
nylon material type holsters too.

1srelluc

Bearcat
Mus408 said:
Now that is a great idea! Given the light weight of that revolver I guess you could use one of those nylon material type holsters too.

I suppose you could but you would not be able to mold it to the shape of the revolver. I don't even notice the weight (14.1 oz. for just the rig with six cartridges) when I put it on as it's only 1 pound-14.1 ounces total weight for the rig and the loaded revolver.

My former woods revolver was a 1920s vintage 4" Colt Police Positive in .38 special and while small it weighed 1 pound/11.1 ounces just for the loaded revolver.

One good thing is that the rig, while fitted to the Ruger also accommodates the old Police Positive very well. That's why I did not cut-off the extra inch on the bottom of the holster.....There's room for the new and the old. :wink:

November

Single-Sixer
Saw this over on arfcom, nicely done. Seriously considering picking up the same revolver.

Latest posts