FFL cost

Help Support Ruger Forum:

jaytee

Single-Sixer
What does it cost to get an FFL that would allow me to purchase long guns and pistols? I guess just the basic FFL if there is such a thing.

C6S1C

Bearcat
It is a intial cost of $200.00 during the application process and 90.00 for year 3 year renewal. You can contact the ATF( or website ) for the proper paperwork. Alot of things to work thru in the process. Good luck !!

gfw1985

Bearcat
No idea of your plans, but research carefully. I've had two friends give their license up, due to the pure hassle.

Ruger # 1 Guy

Bearcat
C6S1C said:
It is a intial cost of $200.00 during the application process and 90.00 for year 3 year renewal. You can contact the ATF( or website ) for the proper paperwork. Alot of things to work thru in the process. Good luck !!

WOW,
Who gets the $ 200.00, I've never had to pay that. $ 90.00 for Standard FFL and $ 30.00 for a C & R FFL. is all I ever paid.
And both are 3 year Lic.
Ruger # 1 Guy

BlkHawk73

Hunter
There's also the star and whatever local ordinances and laws that ned to be followed. FFL's is for a business and most times now I do believe require some sort of brick & mortar front not just your residence - at least for new applications. Now figure in the book keeping and the inevitable reviews by the BATF inspector(s). It's no longer something to get just for one's own savings plan - never was actually.
Go the the BATFE site and read all that's involved.

Ruger # 1 Guy

Bearcat
True,
It's always been a business Lic. So if you intend to go into the gun business you have to get the Lic and abide by the rules and regs, both Federal and local, that's the way it is.

It's not a problem getting the Lic. but keep in mind it's not for your personal use as it's NOT a hobby Lic., for that BATF issues what is called a C & R Lic.

There are ways around the brick & mortar front and you really don't have to be open to the public for certain types of business. The book keeping and BATF inspections are part of doing business, they will come in and check your books, and if everything is ok there wont be a problem.

I've been doing it without problems since 1960, back then the Lic. was free, then if I remember right it went up to $ 2.00, then I think $ 10.00, etc. Just follow the regs and everything should go ok. If there's something you dont understand call BATF and they will explain it to you.
Ruger # 1 Guy

mohavesam

Hawkeye
An interesting topic but one that usually gets lots of misinformation on a public forum.

Why not simply search the ATF website and get it straight? -Dancing with the feds on second-hand info is for fools.

ohiosam

Bearcat
One of the local laws that needs to be followed is zoning. That is often used to keep people from obtaining a license if they are planning on working out of their home.

Ruger # 1 Guy

Bearcat
mohavesam said:
An interesting topic but one that usually gets lots of misinformation on a public forum.

Why not simply search the ATF website and get it straight? -Dancing with the feds on second-hand info is for fools.

I agree, that's why I said:

"If there's something you dont understand call BATF and they will explain it to you"

ohiosam is correct, zoning is one of the reasons that a FFL may not be issued, don't forget it's a business Lic., and if your not zoned for a business you wont get the FFL, or any other type of business Lic.
Ruger # 1 Guy