Federal 230 grain HydraShok

Help Support Ruger Forum:

HadEmAll

Bearcat
Well, after putting 50 CCI Blazer 230 grain FMJs through my SR1911 yesterday morning, I cleaned it up, and then ran 50 (seven mags +1) of the Federal 230 grain HydraShoks through it. One-handed, two-handed, double taps, slow fire, etc. It went great. I'm optimistic.

Previously my SR1911 had had failures to feed with Winchester Ranger 230 grain JHPs, and Winchester Personal Protection 230 grain JHPs.

The HydraShok might not be the best bullet, but function trumps anything else in my book.

I'm up to 463 rounds now with no failures with any of the 230 grain FMJs I've run through it.

By the way chrono results for the Federal 230 grain HydraShok out of the SR1911 - average of 7 rounds

873 fps - 391 ft/lbs ME

Someday I might find enough of the Federal HST to test it for function in the SR1911. Until then it looks like I'll be carrying the HydraShok in the pistol, and 2 spare magazines of 230 grain FMJ, American Eagle for now.

I'm just glad to find any 230 grain JHP that'll function in my SR1911.

revhigh

Hawkeye
I've never owned a 1911 that wouldn't shoot whatever I fed it perfectly.

Running 230 jhp's should be a nonissue for any quality 1911.

Carrying a 1911 with hydrashocks AND 2 more mags full? Expecting a war? :D

By the way ... why not hydrashocks in the spares?

REV

JNewell

Single-Sixer
For what it's worth, the original Federal Hydrashock 230 grain HP was for many years the gold standard in terms of both terminal performance and reliable feeding. On the other hand, about the only thing you can say in favor of 230 gr hardball is that is should feed. You might get better defensive performance from a 5/16" drill in cordeless drill (but don't forget the spare battery) :D

skipper49

Single-Sixer
I'm surprised your pistol doesn't like the loads you mentioned. A very slight polish (by an expert!!) would take care of that nicely. A good bullet that will usually feed in any 1911 is the Remington Golden Saber. Great hollow point, but with "hardball like" profile.
As to the TWO spare mags, that is very reasonable, and knowledgeable men who carry 17-20 round pistols always have a reload handy. If for no other reason, some of the most common auto pistol malfunctions are mag related. The quickest remedy is to simply change mags.

Skip