Fall Colors & Grouse

Help Support Ruger Forum:

sixshot

Buckeye
Made about a 15 mile loop on the 4 wheeler yesterday afternoon to check out one of my old grouse hunting spots. This area doesn't have much water in it but most years there are Ruff Grouse, Blues & Forest Grouse but the last couple of years we've had a bad hatch because of a wet spring & not many chicks have survived.
Some friends told me they have been seeing some birds this year so I thought a little trip would be worth it, even if it was just to see some of the fall colors.
This ride has quite a change in elevation, probably something like 5700 ft up to about 7,000 ft or close to it. Near the top is usually where you find the big Blue Grouse. Anyway, I got a few nice photo's but only saw one Grouse & one shot with my much used 32 maggie 7 & my favorite load of 3 grs of WST with the 100 gr SWC.
On the way out I passed this sheep camp, most of these guys are from Peru, although some are Basque. I stopped & took a photo of his camp & a quarter mile away was a water tanker for the sheep. As I was pulling away I looked up on the ridge 300 yds away & 2 of those huge Great Pyrenees guard dogs were bearing down on me & running hard.
I sped up a bit but these things are fast for their size, one of them almost cut me off & I had to really hit the throttle to pull away from them. I don't know if he would have bit me or if he was just curious, I didn't want to stop & find out! This is the second time in 3-4 years I've been chased by one of these big dogs, they are huge! No time for photo's, I was in a hurry!
Notice the excellent Ferminator front sight!

fAmwMhih.jpg

qf8Q1S2h.jpg

rmkcAVJh.jpg

3Fw3vuzh.jpg

20Pc4XTh.jpg

Dick

contender

Ruger Guru
Great pics as usual!
Those dogs can be a bit "protective" and yet,, at the same time,,, friendly. Hard to call,,,, depending upon their training & handling. You were right in leaving the area quickly.
I bet you were almost as fast as Callshot when someone says; "Free huckleberry shakes!"

I find the large dogs to be mostly bluff. In other words I never saw a dead coyote or neighbor's dog. OTOH exit stage left was the best choice in that setting! Thanks for sharing pictures, and story!
gramps