Fair price for '59 SBH.....?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Erv

Bearcat
I bought my Super Blackhawk .44 in 1959, S/N 161 and was wondering what a fair asking price might be. It's been well maintained, but does have a turn ring and some worn bluing. I know new ones go for $700, but I have no feel for my used one. Any help would be appreciated. I'm in South Carolina and would be more comfortable in dealing with a local. Thanks and good shooting.

Erv

Hi Wow that is awesome do you still have the case or shipper without pictures it would hard to put a value on it condition is everything I have a 20xx serial numbered SBH with the case made in 1960 I value at $1200 I'm pretty sure with that low of serial number it would be worth more if you have the case JMO

Gramps

Ruger1441

Blackhawk
I have 163 and it is a long frame. There is a good possibility that yours might also be a long frame. Would make a big difference in value.

Badger Matt

Single-Sixer
I bought a 4-digit '61 version in rougher condition than what you describe for $600...over 10 years ago. Sounds like your price may be low. Where in SC are you located?

Ruger1441

Blackhawk
The long frame refers to the grip frame. You can usually tell a long frame by taking off the wood panels and see if there is a letter " c " stamped in the inside of the grip panel. Also the long frame grip is a little more flared at the bottom of the grip.

Erv, greetings and welcome to the Forum,,,,bet you are getting LOTS of PMs and emails,,,,,,,,you got a GOOD gun there, take your time, do you homework,,,,,if you are anywhere near Simpsonville, SC., take it over my sisters house and my nephew will give you LOTS of money for it 8) :roll: :wink:

Badger Matt

Single-Sixer
rugerguy said:
Erv, greetings and welcome to the Forum,,,,bet you are getting LOTS of PMs and emails,,,,,,,,you got a GOOD gun there, take your time, do you homework,,,,,if you are anywhere near Simpsonville, SC., take it over my sisters house and my nephew will give you LOTS of money for it 8) :roll: :wink:

Hey, wait a minute there...I live in Simpsonville, SC. Small world, huh?

Erv

Bearcat
Gentlemen, Thank you all for the quick response. To answer some questions: I took the grips off, but did not see any "C". I do have the box, BUT the top has a scorch across the top (from a garage fire) and I removed the center insert that encompassed the gun and substituted one carved for a 1911 45ACP that I gave my father for a birthday. The red felt is still there, but the Ruger medallion is gone.
Some history: I placed an order for the gun the minute a saw an ad for it, but it took three months before it came. During that time, I lived in Baltimore and had to file for a permit, get finger printed. Then two detectives showed up at the door step for an interview, not for me, but for my wife. She was interviewed in the living room while I had to stay in the kitchen. They spent an half-hour trying to convince her to deny my permit. It didn't work.
I'll do some checking with local gun shops to get some sense of a fair price. I'll also see about getting some photos