Exchange regular Super blackhawk grips for a Bisley?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

steady

Bearcat
I just bought a Ruger new super blackhawk .44 magnum Talo edition with a 3 3/4 inch barrel in stainless. It has a conventional grip. I want to change the grip to a Bisley. I am thinking of buying a Bisley super blackhawk in .45 colt / .45 acp convertible can I exchange the grips one revolver to the other?

Short Barrel

Blackhawk
The Bisley hammer needs to go with it,otherwise you will have a big gap in the frame behind the hammer.

steady

Bearcat
Thank you for the reply. That is ok, so now I would have the revolver that had a regular blackhawk grip now be a bisley and bisley hammer and the original Bisley now with a regular grip and hammer and no one will be able to tell they were switched. In other words both revolvers will look normal.

steady

Bearcat
Let me get this straight. You can inter change a Black hawk with a SUPER Blackhawk as well as super to super, correct? So what is the difference between a bisley SUPER black hawk and a bisley REGULAR black hawk?

Hondo44

Hawkeye
The grip frames will swap w/o issue however you must swap hammer and trigger. The Bisley trigger will not fit thru the slot in the Talo standard trigger guard.

The giveaway that the Talo standard grip you put onthe Bidley 45 convertible was not original would be the engraved Bisley cylinder. Unless you find a Bisley with stan dard fluted cylinders.
The Bisley usually has a smooth engraved cylinder shown here:
http://ruger.com/products/newModelBlackhawkDE/models.html

Just get the bottom Bisley shown here:
http://ruger.com/products/newModelSuperBlackhawkDE/models.html

I don't see any Bisley stainless 45 convertibles made, however.

David Bradshaw

Blackhawk
steady.... Reckon your 3-3/4" .44 has a stainless Blackhawk grip frame, which is shorter than on the standard SBH.

Unsure what you mean by Super Blackhawk Bisley .45 ACP/.45 Colt Convertible.

The traditional Blackhawk Convertible is blue, with aluminum Blackhawk grip frame. Only stainless Convertibles I'm aware of are distributor exclusive and are called Bisley Blackhawks (and use same frame as SBH). By acquiring this model you would then have two steel grip frames.

However, the "ears" (radius) at the top of the respective grip frames require careful blending. Perhaps Flatgate or others who have made the swap will chime in. I have mated the factory Bisley to the Super Blackhawk, which requires no refinishing with stainless. I have not put a Blackhawk grip on a Bisley.

Ruger originally wanted to introduce the Bisley grip on the .357 Maximum in 1982. A few years later, when the Bisley grip was introduced, it was intended that the grips would interchange without any changes to the cylinder frame. Didn't work out that way. Radius of the hump below the recoil shield doesn't quite match, and that is where the custom blending comes in.
David Bradshaw

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Fortunately, standard and Bisley grip frames of current production vintage will match very closely, sometimes almost perfectly.

Since about 2000 the main frames intended for the standard plow handle grip have been standardized in size with the Bisley main frames in the area where the ears of the grip frame mate to the main frame. This was a production simplification process so any main frame could be used with either grip frame.

Prior to that the ears on New Model standard grip frames went thru an evolution of at least 5 different heights. Now standard grips frame and Bisley grip frames are the same size not withstanding the nominal differences due to polishing.

Calthrop

Single-Sixer
steady,
The deal is in my experience and tests by others around here the Bisley GF fails the simple draw test. That means the hand must be repositioned when the gun is drawn from a conventional holster placed strong side or on the hip. Do not get me wrong. I like Bisley framed guns. I do not have a holster for one. I use them like rifles. Carried or in a case.

The plow GF is much easier to access in the draw. If your gun is SS I'd look to find a Hunter GF for length and weight. It is going to cost a bunch for the new parts yet not as much as a new gun. If you need a new gun drive on. Otherwise the price point for the parts replacement is the way to go IMVVHO. I'd try the Bisley before I bought it.